How can i install linux mint on my windows 8 machine

barryg84 06 May 13

i am looking for someone to guide me trough the steps i need to take to install linux mint on a windows 8 machine i am running windows 8 now

thanks in advance

Jollyjohn 06 May 13

Ensure you have a backup of your W8 system, just in case.

Pop the Linux Mint CD / DVD in and reboot - boot from CD

Follow the on screen instructions and accept the option to "Install alongside existing OS" - this will give you a dual boot option.

At the last step it will ask about the bootloader and if you want to be able to boot W8 - ensure it is ticked. Linux Mint will probably be the default OS to boot but this can be changed once installed.

(If you have a second HDD I would pop it in and install Mint to it, this avoids changing the W8 partition)

LastChip 06 May 13

It depends what sort of computer you're talking about - desktop, laptop, tablet or what?

It's like saying, I need step by step info to install a new engine in my car. Which car do you own?

Procrastinus 09 May 13

Have a look here: Dual Boot Win8 & Mint

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Should I upgrade to Windows 10? 8 reasons why you should upgrade to Windows 10... and 2 why you…

We are being sold the ability to spend money we don't have. And we love it

Wacom Cintiq 27QHD review

How to use Apple Music in the UK: Complete guide to Apple Music's features

We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message