help needed with this major virus on my machine

erkmatrix 18:22 30 Jul 06

just got a virus I think on my machine, everything slowed down till I had to turn it off at the back, it came back up and I tried to use my AVG virus protector to do a scan but it wouldn't open the test centre so I did a spybot check and adware and they worked then tried the one for shredder to check for trojans and it wouldn't open that up, so I tried rebooting it, for ages I couldn't get back on, tried safe mode and it would go to the blur screen and say windows is loading or starting, one of them and wouldn't go any further, it normally says welcome doesn't it. anyway after a while of trying, I managed to get on in safe mode but still can't run my avg or get online, can you get online in safe mode by the way.

Oh I also tried to use system restore and yes you guessed it , it didn't do anything on tht either, you click on it but nothing comes up, almost like the virus is stopping me anyway of getting rid of it.

Anyone have any suggestions, please

Philip

I'm on windows xp home if anyone wanted to know that

VoG II 18:35 30 Jul 06

Try Safe Mode with Networking and try some online scans:

BitDefender Free Online Virus Scan
click here
Make sure you tick AutoClean under Scan Options.

Panda ActiveScan
click here
Make sure you tick Disinfect automatically under Scan Options.

Housecall at TrendMicro
click here
Make sure you tick Auto Clean.

eTrust Antivirus Web Scanner
click here

erkmatrix 18:48 30 Jul 06

this is more clever than I thought, I just tried to do what you suggested and go into safe mode networking and it goes to the blue screen for me to choose user or administrator, but then after my choice just goes to a black screen with safe mode in the corners but doesn't load anything else.

Somehow its stopping me doing anything that could get rid.

VoG II 18:52 30 Jul 06

Try Safe Mode with Command Prompt. At the prompt type

c:\windows\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

and press Enter. This should launch System Restore (hopefully). Try restoring to an earlier date.

erkmatrix 19:07 30 Jul 06

Have just tried putting in after where it says
c:\Documents and Settings\administrator\c:\windows\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

all it did was move down and say
c:\Documents and Settings\administrator\ again

Did I do it wrong, I tried logging on as the administrator and me

VoG II 19:14 30 Jul 06

No you did it right.

I'm afraid I'm out of ideas at the moment.

VoG II 19:16 30 Jul 06

Other than reinstalling Windows that is click here

erkmatrix 19:24 30 Jul 06

oh no so theres nothing else, My reload windows disc doesn't work for a start as I had to pay for it from Time when I bought the machine and it went ages ago did my computer like this and I tried the reload disc then and it never worked , its a Time Mirage computer and I managed, forgot how to solve it and got my machine back, I think it kept crashing and I used anticrash and its worked fine from then.

Couldn't I get a virus protector on a disc and try that or would it still stop me.

VoG II 19:29 30 Jul 06

See if you can get hold of a recent version of Norton - the CD should be bootable if you set the option in the BIOS click here

VoG II 20:28 30 Jul 06

Or - at P;3's suggestion - if you can download and run HJT click here and post the log on the MWR forum click here (not here).

erkmatrix 20:38 30 Jul 06

Hi wish that was an option too, but its stopped me running hijackthis too, just does nothing when I click it, talk about irratating, these people who invent these virus's are so damn annoying.

I'll see if I can buy this norton antivirus 2006, its 39.99 but theres a guy on amazon selling it for 16.99 , will it be the same do you think. it only gets 3 stars also to AVG on amazon at 26.99 but says released feb 2005 it gets 5 stars, don't want to fork out that much for it if it was a dated version as his virus might be a new one, I've certainlt not seen anything this bad.

which would you recommend going for

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…