Hamachi Problem - Printing over Wifi

Mjones68 09:54 17 Oct 07

Hi, Can someone, please please help me, as I’m pulling my hair out in frustration.

We installed Hamachi about 6 months ago on our two computers at home, so that that my wife could print out documents using her PC over wifi, as the printer is connected to my PC. I remember that it took a little time to set this up, but it’s worked perfectly since then, until I accidentally played around with the settings on both machines. This has meant that I’ve had to delete the printer icons and start again.

The only problem is that the Hamachi pdf guides have virtually no information on how to do this and I’ve searched google and forums endlessly and I just can’t find anything explaining how it’s done (it’s a mystery how I got it working the first time!!).

Could someone please give me a detailed explanation of how to do this, or point me in the direction of an article/guide that could.

Thanks very much

mgmcc 15:10 17 Oct 07

You don't need "Hamachi" in order to share a printer over a home network - Hamachi allows you to run a VPN (Virtual Private Network) so that you can share files/printers over the *internet* with a computer in a remote location.

Set the printer as "shared" (by right clicking and selecting the Sharing & Security option) in your PC. In your wife's PC, she should find the printer as a shared resource of your PC when she looks in her "My Network Places". She should then drag that shared printer into her own "Printers & Faxes" folder where it should automatically install as a "network printer".

Mjones68 15:45 17 Oct 07

Hi Mgmcc and thanks very much for your reply. Please forgive me if I'm being stupid, but as far as I know, we don't have a network and just both connect to the ADSL over wifi although my PC has a direct link into the wifi router. Because we are both connected via Wifi, does this mean that we can set up a network this way and if so, would you mind explaining how? Thanks very much

mgmcc 17:24 17 Oct 07

If both of your computers connect to the same router, whether with a "wired" or a "wireless" connection, then they are networked and can communicate directly.

Both computers should be in the same "Workgroup", the default names of which are "MSHOME" for XP Home Edition and "WORKGROUP" for XP Professional. Ideally, you should give both a name of your own. This is done by right clicking "My Computer", selecting Properties, then the Computer Name tab. Click the "Change" button. Make sure each PC has its own "Name" but the same "Workgroup".

Next, set at least one folder in each PC as "Shared" by right clicking and selecting the Sharing & Security option. Follow my earlier posting for the sharing of the printer and installing it as a network printer in your wife's PC.

If you are using any firewall software, this needs to be configured to allow access to the networked computers. That should be it and each computer should be able to see the shared folder(s) and printer in both PCs, i.e. each PC sees its own and the remote PC's shared folders in "My Network Places".

Mjones68 13:58 18 Oct 07

Hi mgmcc,

Thanks a million for all of your help. I did everything that you suggested and not only can I print again, but I can now share files...brilliant.

very much appreciated

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…