Getting a Mac G4 to work via ethernet to DG834G

John B 16:51 15 Oct 05

I have a home network using the Netgear DG834G router. I have 3 windows XP based machines connected wirelessly. All works fine.

I would like to connect an Apple Mac G4 to this via an ethernet cable but I have no idea how to set the mac up. It has O.S. 8.6.

I've tried to set it up using the TCP/IP (Home) panel but no use so far. The router can see the mac (under attached devices) but that's as far as it gets.

I expect the solution is fiddly, but an advice would be greatly appreciated.

Forum Editor 17:05 15 Oct 05

with G4's and networking in the past - usually on clients' networks where lots of machines are using Cisco hubs. In those situations I've become used to the phrase 'Ethernet deafness' which seems to aptly describe the G4's behaviour - the network can see the Mac, but the Mac can't see the network. In the corporate situation I usually disable Spanning Tree Protocol on the Cisco hub, and it seems to work like magic.

You're not using a Cisco hub however, and I'm not sure of an answer in that case. There were some common networking issues with Macs a few years ago, but to be honest I don't deal with many Macs in the course of my work, so on this occasion I'm not the person for you. I'll call back to your thread later on this weekend, and if you're no nearer a solution I'll do some research.

John B 20:07 15 Oct 05

Top of the wish list is to get the G4 to use my broadband connection to access the internet.

ajm 21:35 15 Oct 05

I myself have a PowerBook G4 and am connecting it through airport wireless. On the few occasion I have had to connect with Ethernet cable at friends place and all I had to do was connect the ethernet cable from their dsl/router to the ethernet port on the powerbook and could connect without fail.
I am running OS X.

John B 22:02 15 Oct 05

I am not familiar with Mac OS; however 8.6 (at least for me!) does not connect automatically. I think I have to tell the system the network settings, but I'm not sure how to do this!

John B 10:35 24 Oct 05

any more thoughts please anyone?

ajm 11:19 26 Oct 05

Go to the Apple Menu, then Control Panels, and select TCP/IP.
For Connect via: choose Ethernet.
For Configure: choose Using DHCP Server.
Close the Control Panel, and save changes when prompted.
Restart your computer.

John B 17:40 26 Oct 05

I followed your advice and deleted the settings I had made in the tcp/ip panel and chose Ethernet; for Configure I chose DHCP Server. IE still didn't work so I tried deleting all the values in IE preferences for Proxy servers and... BINGO! I can use the internet. Hurrah etc.

Thanks again

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…