Gah! Copying folders from Mac to PC

Garnett 14:16 12 Nov 10

I copied two folders containing word and excel files form a Mac onto a FAT USB stick.

I've stuck it in my PC and there are only two 0Kb files with the names of the folders.

Are the original folders salvageable?

GaT7 14:46 12 Nov 10

"Are the original folders salvageable?"

You said 'copied', so yes the original folders & their files should still be on the Mac.

However, if you're asking if they're salvageable from the USB stick, then NO as they weren't copied in the first place. What you probably did initially was to copy their shortcuts only - this sometimes happens when you 'drag and drop' rather than 'copy & paste'. G

Garnett 14:51 12 Nov 10

Yeah, the original folders and files are still on the Mac. 2 hours away.

I copied and pasted on to two different USB sticks and then opened up the folders on the stick whilst still on the mac to make sure they'd copied.

Is it possible what I thought were folders on the mac desktop were actually shortcuts to the folders and so I only copied and pasted the shortcuts?

Can I just say: I f-ing hate macs.

GaT7 15:18 12 Nov 10

Right, if you verified the copy, then they should be there. Unless of course they were all shortcuts you copied. It's a good chance you did this because corrupted info on 2 different USB drivers may be too much of a coincidence.

You never know though, so check if they are functioning OK with the free H2testw click here.

When you say you hate Macs, you really mean you haven't learnt how to use them properly, right? G

northumbria61 19:24 12 Nov 10

I love MACS - and I haven't even got one - but I would give my right arm for one - or maybe just "dream on" (The Lottery might be kind to me one day)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 7 simple tips to get more out of…