Fitting a serial port to a new XP machine

Martyn23 15:51 11 Nov 05

I am due to take delivery of a new pc shortly which does not come with a serial port although the manufacturer could supply one for me to fit.

The question is does anyone know how easy this is to achieve and does XP have any issues with serial ports?

Thanks as ever

The Button

bremner 16:07 11 Nov 05

The reason that mobos are being made with no serial is that there is very little that now uses them.

What you have to ask is what have you got that you would want to connect via the very slow serial port?

XP deals with srial with no issue.

Martyn23 16:58 11 Nov 05

Accepting your comments I have a weather station whoose datalogger uses a serial connection to download to a PC and also a GPS unit which also uses a serial connector.

The Button

DieSse 17:50 11 Nov 05

It's very simple to fit a serial port card, and XP has no problems with serial ports.

If it's a laptop, the serial port PCMCIA cards are a tad expensive - for a desktop, less expensive.

You can also get USB to serial port converters, which I've used successfully to nterface an external modem for a client.

PaulB2005 17:57 11 Nov 05

click here

No invalidating your warranty too...

click here

click here

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface PC release date, price and specs: All-in-one Surface PC to directly rival iMac

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…