Firewall & Virus checker for a Mac

MIKE 10:58 11 Apr 05

Could you please advise me regarding a reasonably priced firewall & virus checker for my mac.
Thanks for any help

jbp1982 12:24 11 Apr 05

I did a search on google, Norton was the only one really to pop it's head up.

click here

HTH

Kate B 16:37 11 Apr 05

You don't really need AV software for a Mac - the only reason you might think about installing it on a Mac is if you run Office for Mac: it's possible that someone might inadvertently send you an infected document from a Windows PC which you could then send on to another Windows machine. Such a virus wouldn't hurt your Mac, though.

Macs come with an inbuilt software firewall which is perfectly adequate, particularly if you're using it with a hardware router - which would also further firewall it.

Again, though, it's not really necessary: most of the malware - Trojans, viruses, worms, diallers - are written for Windows machines. I wouldn't say there are none for Macs but they're very rare: the Mac simply isn't as vulnerable to nastyware as Windows boxes are.

It's one of the reasons I recommend Macs to people who don't have the inclination/time to lavish the care and attention we do on our Windows machines to keep them free of crud.

So don't waste your money on AV/firewall software - and you can spare your Mac the load on its system, too.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…