Fat 32 & NTFS on same XP machine

emmandelo1 14:44 06 Aug 03

I have just installed a second hard drive on my WinXP machine. However I was forced to format this second HDD as NTFS (it didn't give me any options) My original HDD is FAT32. If I leave it like this is it going to cause me any problems, especially if I want to do a ghost image of my C drive on one of these new partions.

The Transporter 15:00 06 Aug 03

Only thing really is that you can encrypt files in NTFS but not FAT32 so be careful there. If you have just installed it as lots of important data will not be on the new drive, you maybe able to reformat it to FAT32 through computer management. Or by using a third party program.

The Transporter 15:01 06 Aug 03

Only thing really is that you can encrypt files in NTFS but not FAT32 so be careful there. If you have just installed it as lots of important data will not be on the new drive, you maybe able to reformat it to FAT32 through computer management. Or by using a third party program.

emmandelo1 15:28 06 Aug 03

Thanks TT. AsI'm not too concerned with file encryption I'll leave it as it is and see how it goes.

alcudia 15:51 06 Aug 03

As The Transporter says you will be fine, but if you do wish to go back to Fat32 type the following command:

format drive letter: /fs:fat32

There is a space after format and the first colon.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…