email being sent from machine by trojan

javaBalls 13:11 19 Sep 04

My friend says that emails have been sent from her computer to people on her address book but she did not send them!

She has Norton AV 2004 installed, Ad-aware 6.0 and Spybot-Search and Destroy.

I thought that Norton AV 2004 would stop this from happening. I have looked around the settings of Norton AV 2004 and it seems that it doesn’t stop this.

She told me that Norton discovered a Trojan and thinks that the email problem has something to do with the Trojan. (I don't know the name of the Trojan.)

The other problem is that I think that her PC is not fully updated. She has Windows 2000 Me edition and Outlook Express. Could it be that her system is more vulnerable? Can she still get updates for Win 2000 Me edition?

If Norton will not stop the problem does anyone know of a program that will block outgoing emails of this variety?

AndySD 13:15 19 Sep 04

Try running the 30 day trial of TDS-3 to make sure there is no trojan. click here

woodt 13:29 19 Sep 04

Also before running Spybot or Ad-aware turn off System Restore because sometimes trojans etc hide themselves in the restore files which are not scanned I beleive. Do forget to turn system restore back on again after.

woodt 13:29 19 Sep 04

Also before running Spybot or Ad-aware turn off System Restore because sometimes trojans etc hide themselves in the restore files which are not scanned I believe. Do forget to turn system restore back on again after.

woodt 13:32 19 Sep 04

Sorry about the double post, and that should read 'Do not....etc. Doh!

stalion 13:35 19 Sep 04

make sure your friend has a firewall and this is a free trojan remover
click here

javaBalls 13:40 19 Sep 04

stalion - yes my friend has Norton Firewall aswell.

woodt - are you refering to the system restore within windows? Or Spybot?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:48 19 Sep 04

Switch off System restore in windows Programs -accesories- system tools-system restore

Scan remove antispyware and/or trojans the switch restore back on and set a new restore point.

woodt 14:08 19 Sep 04

System Restore in Windows as I understand that these files are not scanned.

javaBalls 11:00 20 Sep 04

I'll try those suggestions when I go over to her house.

But does anyone know of a deadicated program that stops emails from being sent from Outlook express when they have not been sent by the the user?

Also what about the fact that she has win 2000 Me? - it might not be as secure as Win XP.

javaBalls 11:59 21 Sep 04

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…