emachines t2882 "opperating system not found"

lustforblood 05:07 23 Nov 08

hello everyone.
My girl friend gave me a computer that was having some problems. she restored the computer but never backed up her files. (Huge mistake.) when she restarted the computer (because thats what it told her to do) it would ask you to type in all this info. it got to the part where it asked her to name the computer but when she typed something in and hit next it would freeze, so we restarted the computer to see if maybe it was just messing up or what ever and we let that same screen sit there for like 6 hours to just see if it was just taking to long to load but it just would not go past that part. so we gave up and she gave it to my mom and i and my mom said that she could fix the problem blah blah blah ( ~screaming~ SHE MADE IT WORSE!!!!!!!!!!)

now last week i finally plugged this computer up and turned it on and the computer turns on the emachines logo pops up and sits for about 5 seconds and then a black screen comes up with an underscore comes up on the top left of the screen for about 2 seconds and then a message pops up saying "operating system not found"

i opened the bad boy up and made sure all the wires were in place no burn residue or smell no cracks dings nicks everything in tip top shape everything is there that needs to be, so i checked the bios and set it all to default settings saved and exited same message took out and replaced the battery same message.

~screams~ I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO

im basically new at this side of the computer i can get on the internet and do my thing and play games and what not but i know nothing about programing and i cant offord $3.99 a minute to talk to someone for three hours trying to fix this thing.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME!!!!

Taff™ 09:24 23 Nov 08

What type of problems was your girlfriend experiencing in the first place & what Operating System is the computer? It sounds like resetting to factory defaults has failed and the HDD may be the problem.

Pineman100 09:54 23 Nov 08

Just before you get the report "Operating System Not Found" can you hear any noises from the hard drive?

If so, please describe them.

lustforblood 14:32 23 Nov 08

at first the computer was really slow just really choppy so she thought if she restored the computer with the three disks that came with the computer ( symantec ghost) i tried using the disks and it just gets stuck at 86% the second disk and i get an error saying error 437 i belive it is and it tells me if the problem persists to get in touch with symantec but they want 3.99 a minute to talk to them (hahahahaaaa not happening) and im kind of new at this side of the computer bios and cmos settings and finding out the processor im using and what not so if you could tell me how to find out what kind of os im useing so i could tell you that would be great.

and pine man i have to travel back and forth to my aunts to try and figure this out so i cant listen to it right now but from what i do remember it does make a sound its kind of like a grinding noise almost but a grinding beep is more like it and it beeps once for a split second that i can remember.

lustforblood 14:36 23 Nov 08

ohhh and ty both for the reply ive been sitting here for hours waiting for a reply

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:40 23 Nov 08
  lustforblood 14:42 23 Nov 08

what is an HDD?

Pineman100 16:51 23 Nov 08

Hard Disk Drive

lustforblood 16:54 23 Nov 08

so how can i get it back up and running or at least get me to be able to load windows in safe mode so i can get on windows and be able to hook it up to the internet.

lustforblood 17:08 23 Nov 08

CPU: Intel® Celeron® 2.80GHz Processor
128KB L2 cache & 400MHz FSB
Operating System: Genuine Microsoft® Windows® XP Home
Chipset: Intel® 845GV chipset
Memory: 256MB DDR (PC 2100)
Hard Drive: 80GB HDD
Optical Drive: 48x Max. CD-RW Drive; 16x Max. DVD Drive; 3.5" 1.44MB FDD
Video: Intel® Extreme Graphics 3D
64MB Shared memory
Sound: AC '97 Audio
Network: 10/100Mbps built-in Ethernet
Modem: 56K ITU v.92-ready Fax/Modem
Peripherals: Standard Multimedia Keyboard, 2-Button Wheel Mouse, Standard Stereo Speakers
Ports/Other: 6 USB 2.0 ports (2 on front), 1 Serial, 1 Parallel, 2 PS/2, Audio-In & Out
Dimensions: 7.25"W x 14.125"H x 16"D

there is all the info i know about my computer that i just found on emachines.com

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:15 23 Nov 08

This problem appears to be due to starting the computer incorrectly when using Ghost with GoBack on the computer. For instructions on using Ghost with GoBack, see the document Ghost compatibility with GoBack.

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…