Emachines System Restore

alisterbain 16:33 14 Feb 05

I am helping a blind friend who had a virus on his machine that we could not clear (light.merked.us). I tried to reset his PC (Emachines 730 running Windows XP) using the Restore CDs provided when he bought it. Everything seemed OK and at the end of the Restore I was instructed to restart the machine which I did. The Emachine display came up OK but when Windows tried to ask for his personal information the information was duplicated four times in columns across the screen and vibrated so much it couldn't be read. The screen that I am using is an older one that the one that came with his system but it was OK before and during the Restore process. Any ideas? I don't want to take the system to his house and his screen as he lives 20 miles away.

Pesala 23:08 14 Feb 05

Maybe your old monitor cannot cope with the refresh rate set or screen resolution that he has set. You should be able to boot up in Safe Mode (Press F8) while booting up, then change the display settings to suit your monitor while you check things out. Then reset them to what they were when you set it up again in his house.

alisterbain 10:56 16 Feb 05

Thanks. Your suggestion worked and I have now got my friends system up & running.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017