eMachines - strange - shuts down on startup!

diver9 19:52 17 Nov 10

Hi,

I have a very strange situation that I have been asked to look at by a friend:

It is and eMachines E4252 AMD 54 x 2 Processo 4000+, nvidia Geforce 6100 onboard Graphics, 1 GB DDR2 Ram (2 x 512), 150GB Sata HDD with Windows Vista Home Premium Installed.

Basically, as I understand it, the computer started shutting down as it leaves the "safe/with networking/last known good configuration" screen, all power stops all fans stop. Sometimes, after repeated attempts, it would start up and work normally.

I took it home and first changed PSU, same issue; I then removed/swapped RAM for some new ones I have here....same result. I tried CMOS battery and removing IDE/power to cd drive

It will sit at the safe mode screen for hours with no problems and also in the bios with no problems, but as soon as it progresses past the safe mode choice screen it shuts down and on the odd occassion it does "go all the way" it will shut down at any point in time once you reach the desktop!

I have checked the CPU temp and it is running at about 35c so not overheating.

My only thoughts left are mobo??? Anyone here have any further suggestions as I am going bald scratching my head.

Thanks in advance

Diver9

Terry Brown 20:03 17 Nov 10

The only thing I can think of is a 'Conflict' in the operating system with something else you have on board.

Try disconnecting the DVD /CD drive(s), and all external connectors USB's, printer,scanner etc, and try.

If this works OK, reconnect one at a time until the problem re-occurs.

You may have to un-install that devise, and re-install.

Are you running 2 or more Anti-virus programs at the same time, as that could cause a conflict.

Terry

diver9 20:08 17 Nov 10

Thanks for the reply - there is nothing connected usb except the mouse/keyboard. Have tried disconnecting the dvd/cd drive - I do not think they are using 2 AVs....probably not even one, however unable to access safe mode to try and find this out.

Thanks again

Diver9

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:50 17 Nov 10

Scan for viruses one of the old nasties used to cause same symptoms

Terry Brown 17:13 18 Nov 10

Can you obtain a copy of the Vista Home premium CD, as you may need to repair the system.

You can do this by either:(if the same as XP):

1-- from RUN type in sfc /scannow (note the space between sfc and /).
This will check the system and replace any faulty files.

2--Put the CD in the drive and reboot the computer with settings to Boot from CD.

Let it run until you get to the advanced options, (On XP after Terms & conditions )press F8 the ESC), select repair, follow any on screen prompts, and if there is an operating system error, this will cure it.

There is one other option you may like to try,the BIOS:

1 Enter the Bios and reset to default-- if this makes no difference.

2-- Remov the BIOS battery and if there is a jumper (used to clear BIOS)clear Bios, reset to normal and re-boot machine.

If all tis fails then it looks like a new motherboard.

Terry

diver9 17:21 18 Nov 10

Thanks Terry,

I cannot get tot he repair option without the system shutting down on me - have reset the bios and still it happens - I have a new mobo ordered and it will arrive tomorrow so should have an answer by then.

Thanks

Diver9

diver9 17:21 18 Nov 10

Thanks Terry,

I cannot get tot he repair option without the system shutting down on me - have reset the bios and still it happens - I have a new mobo ordered and it will arrive tomorrow so should have an answer by then.

Thanks

Diver9

diver9 16:23 19 Nov 10

Thanks You to everyone for your advice -the new mobo arrived today and I have swapped it out and then rebuilt and all is now well again.

Thanks everyone

diver9

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

Disney layout supervisor Rob Dressel on the challenges of visualising Moana

Siri vs Google Assistant