Emachines mobo problems

BigDamo 20:33 16 Jan 06

First of all can I apologise in advance for this post as i'm not particularly computer literate.

I own an Emachines model 410, OS is XP home, Intel celeron 2.3ghz processor, completely standard.

The machine wouldn't shut down properly, the HDD light was blinking/flashing. In the end I had to turn off at the mains. When I tried to turn it back on it wouldn't boot and the HDD light continued to blink. I believe it is probably the mobo to blame. It is a TriGem IM845G mobo. Does anyone know if this model is available still? and if not how easy is it to replace the mother board with a different one?

Many thanks from a newbie!!!

Softstag 20:38 16 Jan 06

What makes you think it is the mobo that's faulty? It could be the hard drive. Do you get any error messages on the screen or anything?

I don't think you will be able to buy that exact motherboard, unless you can find one on ebay. You can buy boards that will be compatable with the rest of your hardware, but you need to diagnose the faulty component first!

BigDamo 20:49 16 Jan 06

After phoning a couple of technical helplines and reading a few forums, everything points towards the motherboard. The computer did boot up once since the initial problem and I managed to recover all my important uni work from "My Documents". Does this mean the Hard drive is ok? Like I said i'm not very good with computers i'm afraid.

Softstag 20:55 16 Jan 06

No it doesn't necesarily mean the hard drive is OK. What actually happens when you turn the PC on? Do you get any display? Any error message? Any beeps?

BigDamo 21:04 16 Jan 06

Sometimes the computer won't turn on at all, the front panel power switch needs to be held in whilst turning the PSU power switch on, and then occasionally the computer comes on. It doesn't do its normal beeps and nothing comes on the screen except a small power saving graphic that normally comes up if the pc is turned off without turning the monitor off. I have seen no error messages. The one time it did boot up everything appeared to be running fine. A friend fitted a new PSU, but the problem is still the same.

I appreciate its probably difficult trying to find out whats wrong when talking to a completre novice like myself!

Thanks for your patience.

BigDamo 08:13 17 Jan 06

Bump!

jack 08:44 17 Jan 06

As the machine has been opened up and a PSU installed- you can try the following.

With machine switched off and disconnected from mains
open it up, and with one hand on the frame work to make a cicuit - rattle and push home all the power and data connectors.
On the MoBo the large white one from the PSU, the data cable to HDD/CD/Floppy- the front panel power/fan connectors/ PCI cards if fitted and memory
Now do the same to the drives - the data cables and the power.
Some or all of these could have been dislodged with the PSU swap.

Now power her up , what happens?

Softstag 08:50 17 Jan 06

OK, the power saving screen is presented by the monitor, it is saying it is getting no signal. You say it doesn't give the normal beep. What beeps does it give? These are error codes that the motherboards give to help diagnose problems.

Have you moved the PC at all? It could be that something has come loose inside, like the memory.

Gongoozler 08:53 17 Jan 06

Hi BigDamo. When a computer fails to turn on, you have to eliminate all the possible causes until you find the one that is preventing the computer switching on. The power saving graphic is generated by the monitor when there is no signal, so that is just confirming what you already know - the computer isn't working.

Failure to turn on is 80% of the time caused by a faulty power supply, so it could be worth trying a new one anyway. These are very simple to change - 4 screws at the back of the computer and the connectors to the motherboard and drives. You just need to make sure that the replacement is at least the same power rating as the original.

Other than the replacing the PSU, you can eliminate the majority of the other parts by progressively eliminating them. First disconnect all the drives - hard drive, optical drives and floppy drive. The computer should then boot, but with an error message about no operating system. If it doesn't, then remove any cards in the PCI slots. Still no response, then remove the memory. Still no error beep - then remove the graphics card. No response - then disconnect everything from the motherboard except the processor with it's heatsink, the PSU, the power switch and the case speaker. If that doesn't produce a beep, then the fault is in one of the remaining parts.

Replacing a motherboard is not too dificult, but if your Windows is on a makers restore disk then unless you fit an identical motherboard you may not be able to use that.

Gongoozler 09:20 17 Jan 06

BigDamo, it is unlikely that you will find an identical motherboard, but I think this one is very similar click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Animator Emanuele Kabu’s psychedelic video is a stunning tribute to Lisbon city

Best Mac antivirus 2017