EMachines E520 - SATA Controller Drivers

OK Computer 12:58 25 Oct 11

Hi,

I'm at my wits end with a friends EMachines E520. To be as brief as possible the users OS crashed, the recovery partition appears to be lost and there are no recovery CD's/DVD's. I'm attempting a flat install of Windows Vista Basic however in setup Windows can't see the Hard Drive and request Mass Storage Drivers. I have downloaded every driver I think could possibly relate to this (obviously starting with SATA drivers on the EMachines website) but nothing will allow Windows to see the HD. BIOS can see the HD, as can a Windows XP Pre Boot Environment CD.

I have searched and searched on the internet for SATA controller details and I'm convinced this particular laptop comes with a:

Intel(R)ICH9M/M-E Family 4 Port SATA ACHI Controller-2929

But Windows Vista setup cannot see the drive. The HD is a WDC WD1600BEVT. I've ran a Western Digital Diagnostics Tool and it's showing no errors whatsoever.

One point worth mentioning is that I took this HD out, put it in a USB caddy and formatted it from Windows 7. I don't know why that might make a difference but thought it was worth mentioning. If anyone can help then I'd be forever grateful (for what that's worth!!)

Martin

OK Computer 13:19 25 Oct 11

Sorry, this can be ignored! Turns out the format with the USB Caddy must have caused an issue. I used the Western Digital Diagnostics Tool to format the drive and Windows saw the HD immediately after. Hopefully this can help someone who has a similar problem in the future.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How Nearly Normal created super-fun papercraft for Google

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos