eMachines 420 won't boot

BEARBEE 14:38 03 Nov 08

I have a new P.C. but I want to get my old one working, It's as described in the title.

There is no on off switch on the PSU so basically when the power cable is plugged into the PSU the keyboard and light under the mouse come on as normal, also the LEDs on the front light up but when I push the on switch at the front nothing at all happens, no fan, no CD-ROM noise, no beeps - absolutely nothing at all !

I'm suspecting dodgy PSU, a dodgy MOBO or perhaps the RAM - anyone help please ?

chrisf989 09:01 20 May 09

The usual problem with these emachines ( and Advent and Medion computers too )is a motherboard fault in the processor socket which effectively stops it boot, i.e. no signal. the board needs replacing but normally the power blows too as aresult of the motherboard problem. This happens as a result of the power plug beside the processor with 2 yellow and 2 black cables on spooks the psu when the cpu socket blows.
Easy answer replace the board, restore windows, time approx 1:30 minutes and cost around £80.00. need FREE help ? chrisf989 07926106150

Taff™ 09:19 20 May 09

Whilst I agree with your diagnosis, a common problem with the PSU`s on the eMachines 420/620 models, Forum Rules don`t permit advertising. It is also not recommended to post personal information such as e-mail addresses or phone numbers. The whole point of this forum is to provide solutions or suggestions and keep it in view for the benefit of others with the same problems.

BEARBEE - Why do you want to get the old machine working?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:16 20 May 09

I would try another PSU first.

Taff™ 11:26 20 May 09

Fruit Bat /\0/\ - agreed but in both instances of this with the 620/420 models I`ve come across the motherboard had blown along with the PSU. If I remember correctly the PSU was branded betatech or similar name.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How VR is being used to simulate space

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now