eMachine - Won`t Accept 2 x 256Mb Modules/Upgrade

Freshman 23:27 10 Jan 05

Hi All,

I`m fairly new to computers and I`m having trouble upgrading to 512Mb max. on my eMachine 150DVD.

Took out the 128Mb module and replaced with 2 x 256Mb modules...result - nothing except a few bleeps and monitor stays on stand-by.

Do I have to access and adjust anything?

If yes, would you give me step-by-step instructions as I need all the help I can get.

Thanks for your time,

Stuart

GANDALF <|:-)> 23:29 10 Jan 05

take them out and carefully reseat them. Memory modules can be a real pain to seat properly.

G

Hairy Yeti 23:40 10 Jan 05

Memory is (normally) a true PnP - no settings required. You could try one module at a time in case you have a duff one.
I assume you have checked compatapility with your M/board.

topdude 00:47 11 Jan 05

Could be one of the following :

Wrong type of RAM for your motherboard.

2 x 256meg drawing too much power from your power supply. Try fitting only one module and if it works your power supply may be under powered.

Freshman 01:06 11 Jan 05

Hi Again,

This will sound crazy, I know, but when puting in Modules to slots, can it be done with machine on or would I end up with fried fingers? I`m not sure if it`s a very low voltage going through them or 240v.

Also, I`ve tried one at a time and nothing happens except a few bleeps. Someone did say eMachines can be difficult to get replacement modules that suit.

Ta,

Stuart

Gandalph 02:16 11 Jan 05

Switch it off. Never attempt to plug anything into a machine that is powered on, unless of course it's a USB connection.

CHAIRLEG 03:16 11 Jan 05

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…