eMachine - are they good for gaming?

K.H 22:29 22 Oct 04

Hi folks

I am planning to invest in a new desktop which will be capable of playing future games, and yet still in budget. eMachines shouted out to me. I am currently looking at click here I plan to be playin games such as Doom3 and Half-Life 2 and want it to be quite future-proof. The graphic card on that eMachine isn't too powerfull, but i plan to install the graphic card of the desktop i am currently using into that one - Ge-Force FX 5200. Please tell me if it is worth purchasin for my usage.

Thanks alot.

K.H

DoctorButcher 22:38 22 Oct 04

I don't want to burst your bubble but neither the X300 that is in the PC nor your Geforce 5200 will be up to running Doom3 or HL2...

The X300 is a PCI-Express based card, so your 5200 won't fit into the PC in any case...

K.H 22:39 22 Oct 04

Thanks

But hasn't the eMachine got any EGP slots available for my geforce?

Giggle n' Bits 22:43 22 Oct 04

No.

Evensham, Mesh, or even consider building your own.
ATX Midi Case, Asus A7V8X-X, AMD Athlon XP3000 Retail, 2x 256MB PC3200 DDR, Nvidia 128MB FX5700 +, etc.

There are lots of combinations and building your own would give you a machine with what you want from it and no pre-installed unwanted software.

I incidently have a 18 month Emachine which is a total W/o with a blown capacitor on M/Board & PSU blow-out. 18 months, think you would like a longer lasting machine. There PSU units are 250Watt really weak.

Ideally custom built to order or a self build would be more up to the jobbie.

Maybe people would disagree but that my view and thats whats the forum is for as well as fixing things

citadel 22:43 22 Oct 04

fx 5200 will struggle with new games. you need a 2.4 processor, 512 of memory, a fx5900xt or similar to get decent framerates. If you have a local independent computer store they may be able to build a machine to your requirements.

K.H 22:45 22 Oct 04

Oh well thanks alot.

Just really in a pickle now.

K.H 22:48 22 Oct 04

The tables seem to have turned a little :)

Looking the ATI's own website click here I've found that the PCI-Express gfx card installed with the eMachine, is capable of "PCI Express® with the ability to send and receive data simultaneously at twice the speed of current AGP 8x solutions."

Any suggestions - does this improve my situation.

Sorry for going on about it.

thanks alot

K.H

Giggle n' Bits 22:54 22 Oct 04

K.H 22:56 22 Oct 04

:/

citadel 23:42 22 Oct 04

you would need the x600, even that has had poor reviews. there is a x700 coming out, this will be much better.

DoctorButcher 00:11 23 Oct 04

Well, i've had a look around various forums trying to guage opinions on the X300 and the general feeling i get is that it falls into the same performance bracket as a Geforce 5500 series...a decent all-round card, but hardly cutting edge.

click here for a review of Gigabyte card based on this chipset...

However, don't get me wrong or let me put you off this PC if that is what you want to go for! I just feel that for £600, you'd be far better off sourcing individual components and getting yourself a PC that will last and will enjoy! There's nothing worse than shelling out some big bucks on a PC only to find it won't do what you expect it to do...

As a matter of perspective, i just upgraded my PC from an old Athlon 700MHz and here's what i got with prices approximate:

Case & 450W PSU (£35), MSI K8T Neo Motherboard (£65), AMD Athlon64 3000+ (£110), 1GB DDR400 RAM (£90), 120GB HDD (£45), 256MB GeforceFX5700 Ultra (£105), MSI DVD-RW (£50), LG DVD-ROM (£20), FDD (£6), Soundblaster Audigy 2 (£50) + 2 case fans (£4) = £580 self-built and will happily run anything i throw at it!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…