Emachine 5250 Upgrade

Revolutionx 01:07 20 Nov 09

Hi everyone, this is my first post on this Forum but this is not my first time here.

Anyway, I have an eMachine 5250 with Pentium 4 and 2x256MB RAM, I would like to upgrade from XP to Windows7 so my questions are.

1. Do I have to upgrade the processor?
2. Will Windows7 work well with Pentium 4 and more 2GB RAM?
3. Also I would like to upgrade the Graphics Card, which one is recommended and cheaper.

Thanks for reading....

Why wont it work 01:42 20 Nov 09

How fast is the Pentium 4? I should imagine with 2gb of RAM it would work okay- you'd definately have to upgrade your current 512mb RAM, as Windows 7 would run very slow with that! I doubt the processor would hold it back too much, Windows 7 seems to run fine on netbooks which use gutless processors- it probably wouldn't run as quickly as XP though.

From a quick google search, I'm not sure that your pc has an AGP or PCI-E slot meaning you'd have to source a PCI graphics card, and I don't think they come very cheap (because they're rare), especially if you want one that supports Aero and the fancy Windows 7 visual effects. So far as I can tell your pc has Intel GMA900/915G graphics, which doesn't support aero etc- you would have to run Windows 7 with the ordinary visuals.

It's up to you really, while as I said it would probably run okay, personally I would keep XP. I would keep XP only because I wouldn't want to spend money on bringing a fairly old system up to date (especially if you want the flashy Aero effects) combined with the cost of Win7 itself. However if you're not fussed about the flashy bits, I'm sure Win7 would run fine with 2gb RAM and your current graphics and processor.

The system requirements for Windows 7 are:

1GHz or faster 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor

1 gigabyte (GB) RAM (32-bit) or 2 GB RAM (64-bit)

16 GB available hard disk space (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit)

DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM 1.0 or higher driver

(From click here)

So to answer your questions:

1. It is not necessary to upgrade your processor

2. An upgrade of your RAM to 2GB is advisable

3. You haven't mentioned what graphics card you currently have (if any), but I'm guessing you would need to upgrade if you wish to take advantage of aero. First of all we would need to determine whether your motherboard's graphics port (the slot that the graphics card goes in) is AGP or PCI-Express. Judging by the spec of your computer, I would guess it is AGP. To make sure though, please download and install Belarc Advisor, click here, and tell us which motherboard your computer has (it is listed under 'Main Circuit Board').

If it is an AGP board then this would do - click here

If it is PCI Express then consider something like this - click here

(I'm assuming you don't play games on your computer)

If there is only PCI slot then you could use this graphics card - click here.

I must admit that I'd be inclined to agree with Why wont it work as to whether it's worth the cost of upgrading such an old system to run Windows 7, but that is for you to decide!

Revolutionx 15:36 20 Nov 09

Thanks everyone for your response and your advice I must say your response have been really helpful and it also add to what I saw in my Uni library today, they have a dell pc with Pentium 4 and 2GB RAM and XP which runs very fast.

So, seeing that and with all you helpful people's reply. I will just upgrade the RAM to 2GB and leave everything else. I am not fuss about the Aero feature in Windows 7 so I will be keeping the graphic card that I've got at the moment.

Once again, thanks for your input everyone. I shall now mark this post as resolved.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…