E-Machines Celeron Upgrade Querey

NinkyRudes 13:08 19 Jan 03
  NinkyRudes 13:08 19 Jan 03

I have a two year old E-Machines C700a. I would like to make it as fast as possible. I have upgraded it to 256Mb of 100Mhz SDRAM, added a PCI (yuck!) Radeon 9000 64Mb, and an LG combo drive. It has a Intel Celeron processor plugged into a Socket 370 motherboard (as far as I know). I believe that these computers run a 66Mhz FSB (frontside bus). The other specs are irrelevant, since I cannot identify the manufacturer of the motherboard. All I can tell you is that it is based around the Intel 810 chipset, with two RAM slots, 3 PCI slots and no AGP (grr!). If anyone can let me know how far I might be capable of improving the processor without replacing the motherboard (I'm a student), I would be eternally grateful. I just wanta couple more fps out of my favourite 3D games, is that too much to ask? My concern is that the 66Mhz bus & socket 370 will restrict the number of Celerons I can go for. Thanks in advance.

NinkyRudes 13:23 19 Jan 03

Would I be right in thinking that I can only go as far as 766Mhz befor the FSB has to jump to 100Mhz?

firstagent 13:28 19 Jan 03

You could see if the configuration guide here
click here helps.

NinkyRudes 13:56 19 Jan 03

I don't really understand the intricacies, but this site appears to offer some sore of adapter for converting Slot 1 to Socket 370. My problem seems to be limited by the bus speed of my motherboard and/ or processor. Acording to Intel's website a Celeron 700Mhz has a multiplier of 10.5, making the core speed 66Mhz. Ideally I could just go out, buy a 1Ghz celeron processor, and replace the 700Mhz one, but I don't think this is possible, even if they are both Socket 370. Sorry if my inexperience is confusing everyone - I'm a first time help seeker!

NinkyRudes 13:59 19 Jan 03

I suppose a simpler question would be: has anyone out there ever attempted a Celeron upgrade from 700Mhz? Also, does anyone have any information on what kind of motherboard E-Machines might have used in its E-Tower C700a?

ellas 14:00 19 Jan 03

check here click here

ellas 14:04 19 Jan 03

dont take this the wrong way but I tried this on a machine with a 700 celeron,found the cost and what I would have in the end not worth it,ended up buying a new one with a agp slot and athlon xp 1800.

NinkyRudes 21:15 19 Jan 03

I think you're probably right, I guess that a 700 Celeron just isn't a particularly cost effective processor to upgrade without changing the motherboard as well. Thanks for your help. I'll wait a little while before ticking the 'resolved' box in case anyone else has any other ideas.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5