E-Machines 4020 and Soundblaster Live! card ??

malwarehater 13:47 03 Feb 06

I bought an e-machines 4020 pc back in sept.....i installed my Soundblaster live 5.1 soundcard and it worked fine for six months until last week....

I started getting a lot of "slowing down" problems with the pc and decided to do a re-install of windows as i couldn't find out what was causing the problem.

Once i did the re-install it seemed fine...until i installed the Soundblaster Live card....after installing it, it would restart fine...but the next time i tried starting up my pc it just wouldnt start up AT ALL....all i was getting was a message saying there was a "checksum error".....it would then start up ok SOMETIMES.....but other times it wouldnt start up AT ALL.

i was told by e-machines to try another re-install....but same probs as before.

I phoned up e-machines again and was told to do another re-install of windows, but once again- the same probs as before...

1. How can i find out if this problem really is related to the Soundblaster card, or it's just a coincidence and the processor or something else is really to blame?

2. Why- if it IS the soundcard- would it be compatible for 6 months, then incompatible after a reinstall of windows?....it just doesnt make any sense.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:26 03 Feb 06

.all i was getting was a message saying there was a "checksum error".....it would then start up ok SOMETIMES.....but other times it wouldnt start up AT ALL.

this is usually due to a flat CMOS battery but a 6 month old PC should not have a flat batery.

until i installed the Soundblaster Live card....after installing it, it would restart fine..

Why install the card hafter you have installed windows (or am I reading this wrong?)

Fit the card, Boot into dBIOS and disable any ONboard sound (to stop conflicts).

Boot from XP CD and run windows setup, format the partion and reinstall windows, it should find appropriate divers for your card

malwarehater 11:09 04 Feb 06

Thanks Fruitbat.

I think you might be right....

fruitbat wrote" Why install the card hafter you have installed windows (or am I reading this wrong?)..

For some reason i always thought you had to remove any type of pci card before installing windows.

My pc is with e-machines as of thursday because of the above prob and other general probs such as slowing down when burning dvd's etc...the last dvd i burned took 40 mins to burn@ 8x speed even after defragging both HD's and re-installing Nero(including the latest update Nero 6.6.0.18) so i related all this to the checksum error.

Fruitbat- do you think this could also be related to the soundcard problem or is it a separate issue in itself?? and has the combination of the soundcard and Nero problems led me to mistakenly believe that my pc had bought the farm?

As a sidenote- is anyone else noticing problems with the new Nero update- ?

If there is also a problem with Nero's latest update my pc being checked by e-machines might all be for nothing.

:-(

Biotech 11:56 04 Feb 06

Thats not the latest update now its 6.6.1.4. Not noticed any problems but I do not install InCD,Easywrite reader and Nero Media player.

Biotech 11:58 04 Feb 06

Have you got the latest Creative drivers and apps for your card.

malwarehater 15:15 04 Feb 06

Hi Bio.

When i click on the update check in Nero it's says the latest version is (6.6.0.18.)It's odd because if i revert back to Nero 6.6.0.16 (the last update) i dont get coasters.

BTW....My version is Nero Reloaded( i think thats what it's called) it's the full version with Nerovision etc.....I the same as you never install InCd, EasyWrite Reader or Nero Media Player either.

And yes i do have the latest drivers etc for the soundcard.

I just feel that if it IS a combination of the lastest Nero update and my soundcard problem that has caused all this, my pc being checked over by e-machines will be a complete waste of time :-((

Biotech 16:09 04 Feb 06

Try this later
click here

Biotech 16:13 04 Feb 06

As an aside, have you checked the creative drivers have the green tick as being signed, I know with the Audigy updates it takes several attempts to get them signed, do not think this will affect your problem it is just one of these drivers' little annoyances.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…