Dream Machine m1530 vs m4300

sal_man 11:39 09 May 08

Hi All,

I am a design engineer though this is my first personal leptop and earlier I didnt think a lot about graphic cards and Operating System compaitbilty with CAD application (invetor & solidworks mailny).

Yesterday, I got my dellXPS M1530(with Vista Home Premium). I intend to use it for CAD & personal work.

Specifications of dell XPS M1530:

Intel CORE 2 DUO T8300 2.40GHz,800,3M
Graphics Card 256MB NVIDIA GeForce Go 8600M GT
Memory Dual Channel 4.0GB (2x2048 ) 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
Hard Drive 320GB SATA (5400rpm)
Battery XPS Primary 9-cell 85WHr Li-Ion
Display 15.4" WXGA (1280x800) with Truelife
2.0mp camera
Dell Travel Remote control
Dell Black 5-Button Bluetooth Travel Mouse (not available wi)

My colleague told me it is not good for CAD user, so I need your advice that should I keep this laptop (if it'll work fine with CAD) or replace with precision M4300 (will cost £150 extra, without camera & bluetooth mouse and with smaller hard-disc too).

M4300 (OS: Windows® XP )specs are-

Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T8300 (2.4GHz,3MB,800MHz)
FX360M Graphics(256MB dedicated memory)
MEMORY 4GB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM Memory (2*2048 )
HARD DRIVE 200GB SATA (7,200RPM) Hard Drive (Free fall sensor)
9 Cell 85/WHr Smart Li-Ion Primary Battery
LCD 15.4" WXGA (1280 x 800) Wide Aspect Ratio display

As I've only one 5 days to return it so please guide me as at present I dont have various CAD applications (except autoCAD2008 ).

sal_man 12:18 09 May 08

What difference will the graphic card make. I mean if I'll use current card NVIDIA GeForce Go 8600M GT (which is not listed in Solidworks website), what kind of trouble will I face...

sal_man 12:51 09 May 08

Please reply soon friends.. I really need help...

Totally-braindead 13:55 09 May 08

I don't know enough about CAD to be able to comment but the second laptop will be considerably faster than the first one as it uses XP rather than Vista.
Having said that the main difference between the two seems to be the graphics(as well as the first one having a bigger hard drive) and I don't know enough about laptops graphics chipsets to comment on that, I didn't think that CAD was that demanding on graphics but as I said I don't know much about it. Perhaps I am wrong and CAD needs a powerful graphics card but even if it does I don't know which is best.

sal_man 14:03 09 May 08

Totally-braindead, Thanks for reply.

shellship 16:09 09 May 08

Two comments:
1. CAD software has been around for a long time and machines like either of yours are miles faster and more powerful than those of the past so either of yours ought to be OK but I am not a CAD expert.
2. Why not ask the makers of your CAD software what they think.

AlexPB 16:19 09 May 08

Id recommend using the Dell XPS as we used them in my previous position and they worked very well alongside the CAD software and met all of our needs.

Hope this helps

sal_man 16:43 09 May 08

Thank you very much shellship amd AlexPB. I am inclined towards my XPS.

Though, I had checked on Solidworks website (system requiement) but XPS graphic card(256MB NVIDIA GeForce Go 8600M GT) was not mentioned there.

GaT7 21:27 09 May 08

If you go click here & choose Dell, it comes up with 23 Dell Precision systems.

Return your present laptop & get the Precision, going through Quidco click here this time to get 5% cashback.

Do you have a link to the Precision you chose above?

"if I'll use current card NVIDIA GeForce Go 8600M GT (which is not listed in Solidworks website), what kind of trouble will I face..." - you should be able to get a definite answer from the Solidworks forums click here.

Btw, in terms of ATI/nVidia graphics card compatibility, it looks like only those FireGL & Quadro cards listed are supported. G

sal_man 09:52 12 May 08

Crossbow7, thank you very much. That helped a lot.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now