Does the new iPad run "hot"?

john bunyan 19:22 PM 21 Mar 12

I would like to buy one in the medium term, but at the moment use a laptop and a dektop. I have seen reports that the new iPad runs hot - is this a concern; is it true?

Forum Editor 22:54 PM 21 Mar 12

Apple has said that the new iPad's operating temperature is within its design range of from 0 to 35 degrees Celsius. Tests by a Dutch team have shown that the new iPad can run at up to 33.6 degrees.

That's certainly hot by anyone's standards, but not too hot, according to Apple. The same Dutch team says the iPad 2 has tested at up to 28.3 degrees.

My own iPad has never even felt warm to the touch when running flat out.

If you're considering a purchase in the medium term you have time to wait and see how this temperature issue pans out. My personal view is that holding a device that was running at 33 degrees might become uncomfortable after a while, and at that temperature I might wonder about its life expectancy, but I'm not an electronics expert.

john bunyan 08:48 AM 22 Mar 12

Thanks; I am going to wait and see.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best Black Friday deals 2015 live blog: When is Black Friday & what are the best tech Black Friday…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the animated Christmas ad everyone's tallking about

The 84 best Mac games: Brilliant RPGs, shooting games, adventure games and puzzlers for Mac OS X