Disc Cleanup hanging my machine

Hare 09:17 08 Feb 03

Any help or advice on this would be appreciated;
I've a fairly old Compaq desktop (PIII 800 128mb) running XP Pro O/S and Office XP Pro. Everything works fine until I run disc cleanup when the machine seems to hang and never completes the cleanup.
I cancelled the job but still the machine seemed to hang, so into control / alt / delete to check what was going on in "Processes" and the programme - "cleanmgr.exe" was still running and taking up 99% of the cpu. Stopped process and machine worked fine.
Shut down / restarted and when I tried clean-up same problem occurred.
It's not a major thing on the day to day as I can go and manually clean up but any idea's if this is a symptom of something else?

AndySD 09:35 08 Feb 03

I have had this problem with it hanging when trying to delete Temp Internet files. It turned out to be cookies..... After manually clearing all I ran it again and it worked. Doesnt help your problem though....I will go look arround.

powerless 09:42 08 Feb 03

This help?

click here

powerless 09:44 08 Feb 03
  Hare 12:00 08 Feb 03

Tried clearing everything manually, still hangs -or appears to. Looking at processes now and cleanmgr.exe is using between 98 - 100% of the cpu and sometimes taskmgr.exe springs into vivid life using 2% of the cpu.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…