defragmenting an imac

so3003 10:56 16 Jan 04

Hi everyone

Stuck using an imac in a lab I'm doing a project in, and it seems to be that it's running ridiculously slow - even for an imac ;-)

Anyone got any idea how to defragment an imac? Doesn't seem like there's any bundled software that does the job, and I can't find anything on download.com.

If you need to get external software to do it, is there any freeware stuff about I could use?

Scott

These people might know click here

Second thoughts, perhaps not.

Belatucadrus 12:02 16 Jan 04

click here for some hints on speeding up Macs, the only defrag I could see was Norton and it's a long way from being free.

recap 12:26 16 Jan 04

If you're using OS X v10.2 or higher, it is my understanding that you shouldn't need to defrag. OS X is based on UNIX, which has an efficient filing system that won't waste space. If your OS is lower then I would recommend you use Norton.

so3003 16:57 16 Jan 04

Thanks for the replies.

Looks like we're stuck with an underperforming iMac (running MacOS 8.X maybe 8.4?), because I doubt the department will fork out for any new software like Norton.

It is a bit ridiculous though that it doesn't come with any build in disk defragmenter. Ah well.

Anyone got any other suggestions for making it run a bit faster, that doesn't involve any expense?!

Scott

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How VR is being used to simulate space

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now