Creating a clean machine

johnboyblue 12:33 27 Oct 04

I want to donate an old pc to a voluntary org for them to upgrade and use for training. I think I have deleted all my old files but does anyone have advice on how to be sure that nothing can be retrieved.
It runs on Windows 95.

madzad 12:37 27 Oct 04

The best way is to reformat.. I guess thats the way Id do it... there maybe another way tho.

Steve UK

cherria 12:39 27 Oct 04

see this earlier thread

click here

johnboyblue 14:13 27 Oct 04

When I try to format the C Drive I get a message that windows cannot do it because there are files in use by windows. Can anyone advise?

geeza 14:24 27 Oct 04

You will need to use a boot disk or floppy with the format command on. At the A: prompt type format c:

Andsome 14:24 27 Oct 04

You can right click on a floppy drive with a disk in it and tell it to format. You cannot do this with your main drive. You need to insert the boot floppy which should have been made when Windows was installed, restart the computer and then select to start without CD. You will then eventually see a window with a flashing cursor. Type format c, or format :\c, different machines seem to vary. You will be informed that a format will delete all files, select to carry on and lo and behold everything will be gone. Windows will then need reinstalling, but the charity will have someone who can do this.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…