connecting 7 machines to 6 ports

rbrtsmrvll6 11:51 04 Sep 05

At the school where I work we have a LAN with 6 datapoints in the computer room. At the moment there is one PC or Mac connected to each datapoint. I would like to connect 7 machines, Macs or PCs, to these ports.

I have been told that I can buy a hub which would allow me to connect 2 PCs (or Macs) to one datapoint.

Is this true and, if so, where would I buy the hub and what is it called. I find hub details from the suppliers very hard to follow.

AndySD 11:54 04 Sep 05

I use click here

DieSse 15:55 04 Sep 05

Assuming we're talking about a standard Ethernet LAN.

Hubs (or Switches - which are faster) are ten-a-penny. You can walk into any computer shop and tell them you want a standard Ethernet 4 port-hub - and it'll cost peanuts. (Get a 4 port then you've got two spare! - and I'm not sure if you can get 2-port ones - you may even have to get a 6 or 8 port one - no matter). Many do auto-sensing on cable wiring too - so that it doesn't matter whether you use straight or crosss-over cables.

interzone55 16:33 04 Sep 05

Get a hub or switch like this one, click here , and connect it to one network port. Then you just have to connect the 7th PC and the one who's port has been nicked into the hub/switch.

An ethernet hub is a bit like a 4-way mains block or USB hub, in that it allows several devices to share one plug.

A switch is a bit more clever in that it remembers the addresses of computers connected to it, and therefore only sends data to the correct port, thus reducing traffic across the network.

Strawballs 22:18 04 Sep 05
  rbrtsmrvll6 20:26 05 Sep 05

Thanks everybody.

I have gone for Alan14's suggestion since it seemed to be the cheapest. Of course, cheapest isn't always best or even the least costly but I'll let you all know if I have problems.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…