Changing To iMac (I hope)

Bing.alau 16:47 PM 23 Jul 12

I use Virgin Cable for my PC but am considering changing to a new iMac 27" model computer.

I have phoned Virgin to ask if there will be any problems if and when I change over. The lady on the other end of the phone assured me there would be none. But as I am not entirely convinced I thought I would ask on here.

Anybody using the Virgin cable and an iMac available for comment please?

There are other questions as well such as transferring things like Photo-shop etc. But mainly I want to know if things are compatible?

wee eddie 17:48 PM 23 Jul 12

The Internet works just as well with a Mac as it does with a PC.

However, most PC/Windows Software will not work on a Mac.

Macs come with a very strong Suite of Programs, particularly on the Media Editing side, as standard.

Bing.alau 18:54 PM 23 Jul 12

Thanks wee eddie for that. It is the cable bit that I am thinking of. Already had a little chat with Brumas who I know changed over to an iMac about a year or so ago. He has been full of information and says I am doing the right thing.

I know the techie boys and girls are good on this forum, so decided this may be the place to find out things about changing over from PC and Windows.

Terry Brown 19:56 PM 23 Jul 12

With you photoshop files they are normally PSD extentions. As Photoshop is an Apple (Apple/Mac) system, there should be no problems with transferring over.

Bing.alau 20:26 PM 23 Jul 12

Terry Brown. Many thanks for that. I also have a couple of thousand-plus iTunes on my PC, but I think they will change over seamlessly. I hope so anyway.

Forum Editor 08:31 AM 24 Jul 12

They will.

You'll have no internet connection problems with your new Mac, but you'll need to obtain Mac versions for any software applications you currently have on your PC.

Bing.alau 09:09 AM 24 Jul 12

FE. I suppose that means there will be more cash to pay out? Ah well, I can't take it with me.

iscanut2 20:25 PM 24 Jul 12

You could always dual boot into the Mac OS or Windows and have the best of both worlds !

Terry Brown 10:35 AM 26 Jul 12

As regards your Itunes music/video, I suggest back them to an external Harddrive, then when you get your new computer or/and you could like the advice from Itunes about transferring .

itunes info

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best Cyber Monday deals 2015 live blog: Best UK Cyber Monday tech deals, sales, discounts & offers

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

#AdventSauceJoyMince - generate a gratuitous Christmas tweet for #GivingTuesday charity

New MacBook Air release date, specs and rumours: 11in MacBook Air to be discontinued