Change MAC address with ISP

iqs 17:13 13 Jul 08

Hello.

I had a few threads running,but closed them down,so I could post another.

To connect my router to the net via VIRGIN,I had to use my PC's MAC address,not the one assigned to the router.

How can I get this changed.What i mean,how to changed the MAC address VIRGIN have on their system to the correct router MAC address .

Cheers

iqs 17:47 13 Jul 08

Should the MAC address they have be the modem MAC ?.

iqs 22:02 13 Jul 08

sorry

Jim_F 08:29 14 Jul 08

On new installs / replacements they do seem to use the MAC from the modem - at least they did when my modem failed. The situation you describe was the system that Telewest/Blueyonder used to operate where they only supported one PC via its registered MAC address - not your network equipment.

Hence the router needed to emulate this PC address, which shouldn't be a problem. They probably don't have the modem MAC on file but if it doesn't cause you a problem why worry ?

iqs 18:14 14 Jul 08

Its just so annoying.I spoke to the tech dept again today,asking if they could add my routers MAC to my account.The answer was no.VIRGIN are aware of this problem,but state they lack the space,and time to update each members MAC address.They will only keep one on file.

The lady I spoke to was helpful,and asked if I would like to make a complaint about this,I said yes.

I posted a similar thread in another forum I use,there were others over the weekend who had the same problem I reported.They went out and bought replacement routers,only to find that will not work.

In my opinion VIRGIN need to address(no pun intended)this immediately.

Your thoughts please. Cheers
-------------------------------------------------
over the weekend BB in my area went off line,when working,I could not connect to the web with my router connected.I had to use the PC's MAC for the router MAC address.

Smiler 18:33 14 Jul 08

Isn't there the facility to clone your PC's mac address to the router?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5