Can't see one machine in network

HauxtonPhil 19:36 22 Jun 04

I have a wireless ADSL router at the centre of a network which has 5 machines on it. 3 run win98se and two run XP. Everything works wonderfully, but none of the machines can see one of the XP machines. I've been through all the Microsoft bulletins etc, but cannot make the netwrok see this one machine. It can see all the rest, and access them, but it won't work the other way round. If I try and set 'Sharing' on this one machine, it comes up with an error message, saying tehy server isn't enabled, but when I look in the admin dept. it says the server has started. Any ideas?

spikeychris 20:29 22 Jun 04

Home or Pro?

HauxtonPhil 20:32 22 Jun 04

sorry - Home

spikeychris 20:50 22 Jun 04

First obvious one then...have you turned of the built in firewall?

HauxtonPhil 20:54 22 Jun 04

All firewalls are turned off

spikeychris 20:58 22 Jun 04

Is netBIOS enabled on all machines?

HauxtonPhil 21:03 22 Jun 04

I'm pretty certain it is on the win98 machines, but I don't know where to look for it on the XP - its too clever really, and seams to set and unset things without user intervention. Where should I look for this on the XP machines?

spikeychris 21:03 22 Jun 04

Just about to pull the plug...

For the 98 machines....

Right-click on My Network Places Select: Properties Select: Internet Protocol TCP/IP Click on Properties Select the NetBIOS tab check: Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP Click OK

For the XP machines Right-click on My Network Places Select: Properties Right-click on Local Area Network Select: Properties Select: Internet Protocol TCP/IP Click on Properties Click on Advanced Select the WINS tab Select enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP Click OK

HauxtonPhil 21:16 22 Jun 04

I've turned netBIOS on on the XP machine that I can't see, and restarted but still can't enable sharing. I still get the message about the server not running.

spikeychris 21:25 22 Jun 04

Check again that the server service is runing after enabling netBIOS

Go to start and type "services.msc" scroll to server and click automatic the start.

spikeychris 21:26 22 Jun 04

"Then" start...not "the" start.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…