Can't Safe boot on an old 95 machine

scales 14:30 02 Apr 03

Hi, I've got an old 95 machine that is working fine but it hasn't been defragged for about three years. When I try to boot it up in safemode, up pops the menu and when safe is chosen the screen goes blank then pops up the menu again and then hangs. I can boot it up in normal mode and in DOS prompt but not in safe mode. Any ideas? I have done this in the dim and distant past with no problems.
I use the 95 machine to run some DOS based applications that won't run on later Windows.

professor 15:11 02 Apr 03

just defrag the HD you say it "hangs" when in actuality its probably trying to find the bits it needs to boot in safe mode i also estimate that if u use that pc often the HD is probably about 90% fragmented--very very very bad

prof

mad2477 15:16 02 Apr 03

yeh, get disk-keeper 7.0 trial and get defragging, u'll notice the overall performance increase straight away. I once fiddled with my msconfig and safe mode kept on dieing, i had to formatt my hard drive.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…