Can my XP Desktop Machine handle this Webcam???

julius44 14:48 29 Dec 10

Hello and good day to u all. I have A Dell Dimension 5150 Desktop, which is nearly 6 years old, but it has lasted me very well so far.

Below are the actual specs: Dell Dimension 5150 Desktop, Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz, 2.99GHz of RAM. About 160GB hard drive with about 70GB free, most of my stuff is on my 1tb seagate hard drive.

Ive been seeing the reviews for the following webcam, which was mentioned on the pc advisor website and also on the amazon uk website.

click here
click here
/news/index.cfm?newsid=3254606&pn=2

I just want expert advice whether my desktop can handle this and also whether its only meant for laptops, or whether it can be used on my desktop screen pls.
Ive seen the reviews also on youtube abd it seems very clear and its also just £18.

spuds 17:28 29 Dec 10

Should work, but it would depend on what operating system that you are using.

Your second link seems to go to the PCA homepage?.

julius44 17:51 29 Dec 10

I'm using Windows XP service pack 3. Under the amazon uk reviews 1 user mentions having windows XP with no probs. Just being cautious.

spuds 18:03 29 Dec 10

If you look at the working specifications, then XP is mentioned, so you should be okay.

Would mention that Logitech is a good company, with a good after-sales care, as is Amazon.

woodchip 18:17 29 Dec 10

It depends on your Graphics card and Line quality if you want it for the web

julius44 18:29 29 Dec 10

Hello woodchip...i have a 10mb internet connection with virgin media,.....as per my graphics card, i wouldn't have a clue(and thats my concern)...if u look at first post for this topic, ive mentioned the specs for my desktop pc, its a pentium 4, pls see above, i think its got an integrated graphics card, but if u tell me how to check i can do that. If I confirmed that my graphics card cannot handle the webcam, then i'll not purchase it, thanks

julius44 18:51 29 Dec 10

Okay from what i read online, to check what graphics card i have for a windows xp desktop:

1. Right Click on the Desktop.
2. Go to Properties.
3. Click on the Settings tab.
4. Under "Display" it should say your Graphics Card.

So it seems that i have a Plug& Play Monitor on Radeon x300 128mb Hypermemory

I kinda have a feeling maybe this may not be sufficient for the webcam???

woodchip 18:54 29 Dec 10

You should not have any Problems

julius44 19:00 29 Dec 10

thanks woodchip, much appreciated, 2nd question, will this be able to sit comfortably on my CRT desktop monitor??? it seems more suitable for laptops and notebooks...or am i just being paranoid???

woodchip 19:12 29 Dec 10

Sticky Pads on the feet

julius44 19:17 29 Dec 10

many thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…