Can I use my present hard drive in new machine ?

buckeye 22:10 15 Nov 05

Altho' my XP disc is legal..I have exhausted number of times it can be used. Can I swap HD from old to new to maintain my XP ?

ade.h 22:12 15 Nov 05

Not really. It is strongly recommended that you perform a clean OS installation whenever you make a mjor system component change. The new motherboard and related components will require so many new drivers that you will potentially have problems with getting it to install correctly. Not to mention uninstalling the old drivers.

ade.h 22:13 15 Nov 05

And there's no such thing as exhausting the number of times that a copy of XP can be used (provided you stay within the bounds of the EULA) Call Microsoft UK and ask for re-activation.

woodchip 22:17 15 Nov 05

Your computer will not boot from the Old drive if you fit it but you could fit as slave to get your files of

buckeye 23:47 15 Nov 05

ade.h..I have went from 20gb to 40gb to 60gb to 80gb and reinstalled xp ok each i cant activate because it says i have exceeded

Totally-braindead 23:52 15 Nov 05

Wouldn't recommend trying to swap your hard drive over because all the hardware and drivers including the motherboard drivers will be different, it may work but I would think you would end up with a lot of problems. If you phone Microsoft they would probably unluck it for you, after all they are only trying to stop people installing it on multiple machines.

PaulB2005 07:16 16 Nov 05

"i cant activate because it says i have exceeded"

Exceeded what?

As ade.h said there is no maximum number of times to use a copy of XP. Otherwise it'd have to be a lot as my testing PC gets reinstalled and reactivated every week!

If you have exceeded the number of allowed changes to the system then speak to MS or buy a new copy of XP as if you move the old HDD to a new PC (I'm assuming that's what you want to do) it'll be locked to the old hardware and won't work on the new hardware anyway.

Stuartli 09:47 16 Nov 05

Bit puzzled about these comments about XP, a new motherboard and the old HDD.

I fitted a new motherboard about six months ago and the only thing I had to do, before using the upgraded system, was to choose to boot from CD and then do an XP Repair (this is because XP doesn't always like a new mobo).

I then installed the (later) motherboard drivers (Via 4-in-1) although XP can provide an earlier version and one or two other required drivers and away I went.

Stuartli 09:48 16 Nov 05

A Repair also ensures that all the settings, configuration, programs, applications etc on the hard drive are retained.

You need to have the Product Key handy.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Switch price…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…