Can I run XP on two machines ?

Furkin 22:35 21 Apr 09

I'm about to buy a laptop. I don't want to use Vista & was wondering if I can use a copy of my legal XP on it as well as my existing desktop ?

When will a stable version of W7 be out ?

cheers

phono 22:42 21 Apr 09

Assuming you have a home version of XP I would say that you most likely cannot use your version of XP on more than one PC.

lotvic 22:46 21 Apr 09

No, XP licence means it can only be used and activated on one computer.
A hardware hash is generated and registers the product code with microsoft.

If you try to do it with another computer you will get the message that it failed as key is already in use.

'When will a stable version of W7 be out ?'
I dunno.

DieSse 23:02 21 Apr 09

"I don't want to use Vista"

Try a Linux distribution. Ubuntu 9.04 is in Release Candidate version, and full release very soon. It's already very stable.

It's free. Use it as often as you wish.

If you don't activate Vista, according to the licence terms, you can refuse to accept the licence and then seek a refund. Mind you, persistence pays to achieve that.

Jollyjohn 07:58 22 Apr 09

If you choose an Acer laptop it is possible to roll it baxk to XP - initially you must make the recovery disc and then format the hdd and install XP.

interzone55 08:51 22 Apr 09

Some OEMs still have stocks of XP licences, so you should be able to request a laptop with XP.

Mind you, you may have to jump through a hoop to get it, as XP is only officially available with netbooks, or as a downgrade from Vista Business...

Graham. 09:12 22 Apr 09

A selection of XP laptops click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…