Can I find my MAC key?

Chris the Ancient 17:58 07 Dec 07

I'm in the process of changing ISPs. To do this, I need, of course, my MAC key.

My 'old' provider has said that they will ask BT, my line provider, to issue me with the key; but it will take up to five days to get it to me. And, as we all know, BT aren't the speediest people in the world - at times.

Is there a way that I can detect my MAC key at the exchange from my home computer?

Technotiger 18:00 07 Dec 07

I believe you can only get your MAC key from your 'old' ISP. They are obliged to give it to you at your request.

Technotiger 18:01 07 Dec 07

Hmmm, you mention your 'old' provider and then mention BT? Who is your 'old' provider?

dan111 18:11 07 Dec 07

I think they should give it to you on demand or email it within 24 hours.

Ring again and ask again. If you get the same reply, mention that you will give the ombudsman a ring to clarify the position.

That might just work as they are now governed by a code of conduct.

dan111 18:14 07 Dec 07

Sorry.

My information is incorrect.:-(

Upto 5 days is the norm.

click here

Stuartli 18:16 07 Dec 07

It's always been up to five days following the request.

Technotiger 18:17 07 Dec 07

My 'old' provider has said that they will ask BT, my line provider ..........

This is the bit I don't understand??

Technotiger 18:30 07 Dec 07

BT cannot give your ISP the MAC key

Technotiger 18:32 07 Dec 07

Ooops - clicked on wrong button ....

I meant to continue - unless BT themselves are your ISP?

Chris the Ancient 18:35 07 Dec 07

Cor. Turn my back for two minutes to have a cuppa and an influx!

I am currently with Virgin and I'm transferring to 02. I wasn't on cable - but broadband to them through my BT line.

Rang Virgin this morning - which was a bit of a palaver! They wanted me to ring an 0906 number at 25p per minute. But I managed to persuade them to redirect me through their system - at last. Still took quite a while to get hold of someone who could actually deal with my situation.

From there, eventually, they stated that they had to contact BT who would then send me the MAC key - but it could take up to the quoted 5 days :-((

And that is where I am now.

Hence my wondering if there was a quicker way to find my MAC key.

CtA

johnnyrocker 18:38 07 Dec 07

it is the job of your current provider to provide you with a MAC key which is transfer authorisation.

johnny.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…