Boot problem on XP machine (SATA) Drive

Sparkly 18:19 PM 05 Nov 11

Hi all just reinstalled XP on the above yasterday all went well activated ok and installed a couples of programmes, shut down and this morning started the machine it goes to the Packard Bell Logo screen and goes no further. I have tried all combination of keys to try and get into either safe mode or the bios nothing works tried:F5 F8 F12 Del, On the P/Bell screen it says [press esc to switch screen] [F2 Bios] [F8 Boot Device] none work. The sata h/d is spinning all optical drives work, so i put my XP Home disc in the drive to start again but no Windows software runs just goes to the Packard Bell Logo screen again. Any help would be welcome. Packard Bell I Media H1525 XP Home 500 gig Sata H/D PS2 Mouse/Keybord 2 Gig Ram

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:27 PM 05 Nov 11

Open it up and have a look at the capacitors near the CPU. if any are bulging at the top then its a motherboard problem, unfortunately common with PB.

Sparkly 18:35 PM 05 Nov 11

Hi Fruit Bat /\0/\ thanks for the speedy reply just had a look they all seem fine no bulging.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:46 PM 05 Nov 11

Can you boot to BIOS and load default settings?

Sparkly 20:29 PM 05 Nov 11

Hi Fruit Bat /\0/\ "Can you boot to BIOS and load default settings?" Thats a big NO nothing but the Logo.Not looking good is it....

Terry Brown 20:49 PM 05 Nov 11

After turning the machine off, unplug the SATA data cable aand try it in another SATA socket.

If you can get into BIOS check to see if the hard drive is showing.

Sparkly 21:04 PM 05 Nov 11

Hi Terry Brown tried in all 4 sata connecters no joy im afraid, thanks for youe input though.

Sparkly 10:50 AM 06 Nov 11

Changed the sata cable for new one still the same.Meant to say allso the red light on the front panel is a constant red where as before it would go off and only be flickering with any activity on the PC.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:53 AM 06 Nov 11

Unplug hdd and see if it boots to an error message regarding no operating system.

Sparkly 11:35 AM 06 Nov 11

Morning Fruit Bat /\0/\ no just the same screen.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:38 AM 06 Nov 11

Disconnect everything from motherboard , just leave cpu + fan one stick of memory and graphics card if not integrated graphics.

see if it boots past splash screen.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Rugby World Cup 2015 online: Watch live, catch up on-demand & stream the 2015 Rugby…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

See immersive artist and storyteller Chris Milk speak at London VR event

What everyone thinks of the new Steve Jobs movie | 21 Facts about the Steve Jobs film | PLUS:…