Black hole machine on blink

Seth Haniel 08:47 19 Sep 08

The Large Hadron Collider, the machine designed to unlock the secrets of the universe, has been shut down after only a week.

click here

Quickbeam 09:34 19 Sep 08

that would entitle them to their money back...?

newman35 09:39 19 Sep 08

Surely it is to be expected that such a complex piece of kit will have 'outages' during the commissioning phase?
When someone invents an entirely perfect machine, I think that's the day to start worrying!

Forum Editor 16:58 19 Sep 08

The power supply to the magnet coolers failed, and safety devices powered down the collider. The power fault was rapidly traced and rectified, and the collider is running once more.

It's always best not to get too excited when something like this happens - the equipment was designed with this kind of thing in mind, and all the safety devices worked perfectly.

laurie53 18:31 19 Sep 08

Just like another computer shutting down because of overheating.

On the other hand if it was my computer and I'd only had it a week I'd get a bit excited too, and might be looking for a refund!

Forum Editor 23:15 19 Sep 08

If your computer operated at minus 271 degrees Celsius it would take some power to keep it at that temperature, and it would need some serious safety devices.

The Hadron Collider is probably the most complex bit of machinery ever constructed - it has millions of components - and it would be remarkable if it didn't have a few glitches in the first run-up. The experiments, when they begin, will result in so much data being produced that it will probably be a couple of years before scientists can work through it all and produce the first papers.

This is a beginning - I'm sure there'll be other, bigger machines in the future.

laurie53 09:06 20 Sep 08

Sorry, I'm an engineer.

It's just another broken down machine, it's only the size of the repair bill that varies.

Most will break down eventually, but usually not just after they've been started up for the first time.

That's what trial and test programmes are for.

Forum Editor 10:15 20 Sep 08

Engineer or not, you said "..if it was my computer and I'd only had it a week I'd get a bit excited too, and might be looking for a refund!", which seemed to infer that you didn't understand the sheer complexity of the Hadron - it's not 'just another broken down machine' at all, it's the most complex machine ever built.

It was made quite clear from the outset that there would be several weeks of testing before the machine was run in earnest for the first time. The media decided to latch onto the 'black hole, we're all doomed' excitement.

crosstrainer 11:47 20 Sep 08

A thirty tonne transformer failure? Put's the size of the thing into perspective really!

Seth Haniel 12:34 20 Sep 08

'Big bang machine' study halted for 2 months
Damage to $10 billion particle collider is worse than previously believed

click here

Seth Haniel 13:01 20 Sep 08

I said Forum Editor trouble with having same sort of handle...

Quote FE " The power fault was rapidly traced and rectified, and the collider is running once more."

read it and weap ;)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now