Bigger HD into E machine 350

taffyal 10:55 16 Jun 05

I have an Emachine 350, 1.3 Celeron CPU, 256 ram, XP home. It has an 8.4 HD, which I am trying to replace with a 20gig.With the 8 as master, 20 slave, runs OK. When I put the 20 in alone, it says I have no HD. 20 as master with 8 as slave wont work. I have tried partitioning the 20 to 7 & 2x 6.5, still no use!(except with the 8gig alongside) I want to get rid of the 8, & reload XP into the 20.Any help would be appreciated, as the 8gig is getting noisier by the minute. E machines support site dont seem to know that they ever made a 350!! Cheers, Al

DieSse 11:15 16 Jun 05

"When I put the 20 in alone, it says I have no HD"

What says you have no hard drive - the BIOS?

When you put it in alone, are you changing the jumper to Master - are you definately setting the jumper correctly?

taffyal 11:21 16 Jun 05

I go into Bios set up, which says no HD. Recognizes the 2 together,or the 8gig alone. When I try the new 20 as master, & 8 as slave goes to boot & says "no OS". Jumpers OK. Just tried it wth an old 2.5 gig, OK. The 20 gig is definitely OK, worked in my friends PC when I bought it, works in my back up PC.
It all seemed so simple when I started the job!!!
Cheers, Al

DieSse 12:14 16 Jun 05

"When I try the new 20 as master, & 8 as slave goes to boot & says "no OS""

Presumably because the 20b doesn't have an OS on it?

I still think you may have the jumpers wrong - if the 20 is found when it has a slave, it should be found just as well without a slave.

Try using it on it's own with no jumpers - some older drives needed that when used without a slave.

Micro-Man 13:07 16 Jun 05

"When I put the 20 in alone, it says I have no HD"

What make hard disc? I had a similar problem with a Western Digital hard disc and finally found that if used it as a single drive, I had to use it with CS, (Cable Select).

taffyal 10:54 21 Jun 05

Sorry for delay, had to dash off over w/end.HD had an OS in it, BUT was Western Digital!Used Micro-Mans idea, now works perfectly.Thanks very much to you both. Al.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This poetic animation about monsters is illustrated in a Van Gogh painterly style

Apple predictions 2017