Bigger HD into E machine 350

taffyal 10:55 16 Jun 05

I have an Emachine 350, 1.3 Celeron CPU, 256 ram, XP home. It has an 8.4 HD, which I am trying to replace with a 20gig.With the 8 as master, 20 slave, runs OK. When I put the 20 in alone, it says I have no HD. 20 as master with 8 as slave wont work. I have tried partitioning the 20 to 7 & 2x 6.5, still no use!(except with the 8gig alongside) I want to get rid of the 8, & reload XP into the 20.Any help would be appreciated, as the 8gig is getting noisier by the minute. E machines support site dont seem to know that they ever made a 350!! Cheers, Al

DieSse 11:15 16 Jun 05

"When I put the 20 in alone, it says I have no HD"

What says you have no hard drive - the BIOS?

When you put it in alone, are you changing the jumper to Master - are you definately setting the jumper correctly?

taffyal 11:21 16 Jun 05

I go into Bios set up, which says no HD. Recognizes the 2 together,or the 8gig alone. When I try the new 20 as master, & 8 as slave goes to boot & says "no OS". Jumpers OK. Just tried it wth an old 2.5 gig, OK. The 20 gig is definitely OK, worked in my friends PC when I bought it, works in my back up PC.
It all seemed so simple when I started the job!!!
Cheers, Al

DieSse 12:14 16 Jun 05

"When I try the new 20 as master, & 8 as slave goes to boot & says "no OS""

Presumably because the 20b doesn't have an OS on it?

I still think you may have the jumpers wrong - if the 20 is found when it has a slave, it should be found just as well without a slave.

Try using it on it's own with no jumpers - some older drives needed that when used without a slave.

Micro-Man 13:07 16 Jun 05

"When I put the 20 in alone, it says I have no HD"

What make hard disc? I had a similar problem with a Western Digital hard disc and finally found that if used it as a single drive, I had to use it with CS, (Cable Select).

taffyal 10:54 21 Jun 05

Sorry for delay, had to dash off over w/end.HD had an OS in it, BUT was Western Digital!Used Micro-Mans idea, now works perfectly.Thanks very much to you both. Al.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…