Belkin, PC and Mac wireless connection problems

ukfetchfan 16:14 03 Dec 06

I have been sat at my computer for 7 hrs today trying to sort this- now I give in and seek your help!!

I have just connected a Belkin G+MIMO modem router via ethernet cable to my desktop. Following the instructions I have changed my IP address and set up some basic security.

I have then connected my MAC laptop with the ethernet cable and using the automated DHCP (I think those were the letters!) it has created a separate IP address for the MAC. The internet worked at this stage.

I then plugged main PC back in to the cable and tried to wireless the Mac - no joy. It will not connect. Have put in WEP keycode too.

I tried changing the Mac IP to match the IP address I had used on my main PC but it would not accept this.

Sometimes the Mac is saying the in-built ethernet is not plugged in - other times not.

What am I not doing to make this work???? Should both have the same IP address?

Huge big thanks to anyone who can help!

mgmcc 21:25 03 Dec 06

<<< I have just connected a Belkin G+MIMO modem router via ethernet cable to my desktop. Following the instructions I have changed my IP address and set up some basic security. >>>

The router's IP address will be 192.168.2.1 and it will allocate addresses to computers connected to it in the same range (192.168.2.x), but each computer must have a unique IP address. This is done by DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol) and therefore, you shouldn't have to manually enter any IP addresses.

<<< I tried changing the Mac IP to match the IP address I had used on my main PC but it would not accept this. >>>

No, let the Mac get its address automatically, whether by cable or wirelessly. I don't know the specifics of connecting wirelessly with the Mac because, although I have a MacMini, I use a Belkin USB Wireless Adapter with it and some software I managed to find on the internet, but this isn't the Mac's own wireless networking. In general though, you should be able to scan for networks, find your router's SSID and connect to it. I'd disable WEP until you get the network connecting.

ukfetchfan 22:55 03 Dec 06

Thanks for the suggestions - will try again tomorrow night! - and get back for more help if needed. (I was hoping mgmcc would be looking at this forum this evening - you seem to give lots of helpful advice! Thanx)

ukfetchfan 20:43 04 Dec 06

Followed mgmcc's advice below and now have a connection - and am wireless - hoorah!!

However, I now have no security.

Where do I find the page on the MAC to enter the required hex codes? Can sort the PC ok.

Thanks

mgmcc 20:59 04 Dec 06

<<< Where do I find the page on the MAC to enter the required hex codes? >>>

That's the problem - I'm not using Mac's wireless software. This is the little wireless application I'm using with a standard Belkin USB adapter click here

If I scan, find my router's SSID and double click the entry, it opens this box in which I can enter the encryption key click here but I don't know how that compares with what you have.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…