Beeping e-Machines processor

micklemouse 09:12 26 Jan 06

Beeping e-Machines processor

Hi, a friend of mine is having problems when booting up her e-machines tower; it makes a beeping noise (coming from within the tower itself, not the speakers) and the monitor is switched on but shows black with a 'keyboard' type pattern along the bottom. Log-on is only possible after re-starting and re-starting the system and even then sometimes it won't let her type her password. Please can anyone tell me what might be the cause? I have to go around there later and have a look at it.

Regards Micklemouse

Gongoozler 09:22 26 Jan 06

A repeated beeping noise usually indicates a memory problem, but the exact meaning depends on the BIOS. This is usually shown on the screen at boot up. This is one example click here

and another

click here

micklemouse 09:41 26 Jan 06

Thanks Gongoozler, have to go round there now so I've posted these links to her so's I can check it out for myself.

Stuartli 09:52 26 Jan 06

You can check out what the beeps are indicating at:

click here

depending on the particular Bios software being used.

Stuartli 09:56 26 Jan 06

This particular website's downloads may prove of interest:

click here

The main website is popular with IT support staff...:-)

micklemouse 08:49 27 Jan 06

When I got to her place I tested all the connections at the back of the tower, and distributed the power supply so that not such a heavy input was coming in from one socket, and turned the thing on; Hey Presto, all worked fine, even the logging on. But I warned her that it may very well happen that the beeping should happen again, and if so it could mean expensive replacements. Thanks for these Bios beep websites, but how do I know where to find out what software has provided the Bios in her computer? I can't honestly believe that just twiddling a few USB plugs has solved the problem.

Regards Micklemouse

micklemouse 08:50 27 Jan 06

P.S. I have bookmarked all of your links too, thanks!

Stuartli 09:26 27 Jan 06

When you first bootup the system the initial page details the Bios provider - most likely Award, AMI or Phoenix - and version.

micklemouse 09:31 27 Jan 06

well my computer boots up with all the system info but hers does not - it is neatly hidden by the e-Machines logo!

Gongoozler 09:49 27 Jan 06

Download and run Belarc Advisor click here. This will tell you a lot about the computer, including the BIOS.

micklemouse 09:58 27 Jan 06

Thanks Gongoozler.
Where would I be without PCAdvisor!

Regards Micklemouse.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now