Basic gaming machine.

Epirb406 20:09 07 Aug 04

Hi all,

Have been asked by a friend to build a basic machine for his teenage son to play games on.....

Anyone want to throw q few specs around or comment on buy or build?

Thanks, Epirb.

carver 20:54 07 Aug 04

Don't get annoyed, but just how basic do you need it to be, what sort of games is he into, will he want to play DOOM3 when it comes out later this month or Half Life 2, for those sort of games a basic p/c is no good. Find out the level of game he wants to play and we can give some ideas on specs for a p/c.

harps1h 21:00 07 Aug 04

a good starter would be:

dfi ultra 11 mobo or similar with on board 5.1 sound
xp2800+
512 mb ram
80gb hdd
ati 9600 card
17" crt monitor
plus keyboard etc.

Epirb406 22:13 07 Aug 04

Carver, you are right I should have asked more questions but......I guess he will buy on price anyway!

harps1h, and all, think a highish spec home machine will do him, I would think 512mb ram, 80 gb hard drive, 5.1 soundcard, then the biggies...graphics card, motherboard and processor.....

Any ideas?

Cheers, epirb.

Epirb406 09:22 08 Aug 04

Happy sunny Sunday,

Any pointers?

Epirb406 12:37 08 Aug 04

Any one know of any useful links where people are swapping ideas?

Cheers! Epirb.

carver 13:57 08 Aug 04

The problem is that you can either go for a p/c that will be still playing game in 2 years but will be quite dear or a more basic p/c that will need upgrading in 12 months. As for graphic cards the list is endless, but the min would be either a nvidia 5900xt or Radeon 9800 look here click here , on the motherboard question go for something from Gigabyte, they make very good boards that tend to be good value for money plus they have a duel bios so making updates very easy and stress free. CPU, go for the fastest you can afford xp3200 because the CPU speed can have an effect on frame rates in games. Sound card, go for the Creative Audigy 2zs it's a bit dearer but the difference in sound quality makes it worth the extra, then you need a good set of speakers or else the sound card will not be worth having, again a set of Creative 5.1 are good value.

But if you can wait a couple of months then a lot more motherboards will be out that support PCI Express.

Isn't life wonderful, so many decisions so many permutations, it's a wonder anybody actually buys a p/c.

Best coarse of action, go to Mesh website, pick latest gaming p/c, wait for delivery, enjoy p/c and have 3 year warranty

Epirb406 19:54 08 Aug 04

going to mark this resolved now, have been looking around for advice, yours is sound.

think the best option is that I offer him a reasonably specced moderm machine that will play most games for 600 pounds or he goes and buys off the shelf for maybe a better machine, certainly more support and a couple of years more future proofing.

I'll let you know what he chooses but I think he wa expecting a pricw nwarer 200 pounds!

All the best, epirb.

Epirb406 19:55 08 Aug 04

I wsh I had checked my spelling before I posted my last!

dfghjkl 22:41 08 Aug 04

£200 will not buy a graphics card that will play the latest games at a decent resolution.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…