Apple Ipod to PC via USB

mcheathen 23:23 29 May 08

I thought that it would be just as straightforward as connecting and saving to a mp3 player.

My PC first detected the ipod as a digital camera. After downloading and running itunes a control panel appeared on the ipod and whenever the ipod was connected to the PC 'itunes' would automatically appear on the screen.

Despite this I was still not able to save mp3 files from my PC to the ipod. What could be wrong?

FatboySlim71 23:35 29 May 08

I would try un-installing itunes and reinstall by following the instructions exactly that appear on the screen. I know personally I have used ipods/itunes for around 3 years and I have never had problems using either.

What exactly happens when you try to import MP3 to your ipod?

Is your Ipod new, if so it may need formatted (or similar) in order for itunes to recognise it?

Personally I always import music from cd and I have never done this directly from my computer to ipod although it should be possible to do this.

mcheathen 01:37 02 Jun 08

*What exactly happens when you try to import MP3 to your ipod?*

Nothing! - thats the problem - I can't paste or save them onto the ipod. My PC does not read it as an actual drive.

*Is your Ipod new, if so it may need formatted (or similar) in order for itunes to recognise it?*

Yes it is new and when Itunes was installed to my PC a control panel was downloaded onto the ipod. Despite the PC not reading the ipod as an actual drive - itunes will load up onto screen whenever the ipod is plugged into PC.

*Personally I always import music from cd and I have never done this directly from my computer to ipod although it should be possible to do this.*

Yeah it should - in the same manner as an ordinary mp3 player.

AL47 01:43 02 Jun 08

you HAVE to use itunes to iport music to the ipod

its a pain in the ***

i hate itunes but have an ipod and iphone, and yes its normal for it to read as a digital lcamera

mcheathen 01:53 02 Jun 08

Yes I did try to import via itunes but it never allowed my to paste the mp3s to the ipod folder.

AL47 01:55 02 Jun 08

you have to press 'sync' in itunes, you cant use copy and paste (which is what every other one uses)

mcheathen 20:05 02 Jun 08

**you have to press 'sync' in itunes, you cant use copy and paste (which is what every other one uses)**

OK then, I'll look for 'sync' - thanks. But what is the 'copy' and 'paste' on itunes actually used for?

AL47 21:50 02 Jun 08

hmm, not sure, itunes in my eyes is an awful thing, ill tell you how i do it

once you plug in your iphone/pod whatever open itunes

a devices tab opens up on the side, mine says alexs iphone
if you click that theres an option that says
'sync only checked sonngs/vids'
click that
now every song/video that has a little tick by it will be transfered
now, on the iphone/ipod tab theres a button in the bottom right that says 'sync'
click it and on go the songs/vids

mcheathen 11:59 03 Jun 08

I try that out - thanks AL74.

2neat 12:41 03 Jun 08

click here is a good place to look.
Look at itunes help tutorials.
I also hate how these programs mess up your music folders by index every track as Artist/unknown albums :o(

mcheathen 18:40 03 Jun 08

thanks 2neat, btw why are purchased itunes music files downloaded as m4p format and how can they be converted to mp3s?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…