Apple iPod - 20GByte - Frozen - wont reset??

georgemac 21:11 26 Nov 04

My friend has a 20 gbyte apple ipod, which is an earlier model with a touch wheel and only a firewire connection - no usb connection.

We have been trying it on his xp3000 64 bit pc, with the firewire connection on the asus a78v deluxe motherboard.

We downloaded the latest update software and itunes software from the apple website (windows software)

We managed to update the ipod, but when transferring the music from pc to ipod it was always hanging, and sometimes the pc would crash.

On the last crash, the ipod has become totally frozen, and we can not get it to reset, following all the instructions. All that appears on the screen is the aple logo, and we can hear the hard drive spinning until the battery goes flat. When we plug in the charger the apple logo appears and stays on the screen again, and again it does not respond to the reset sequence.

When we connect it to the pc, the ipod is not detected by the updater, itunes or the pc itself (no beep on connection).

Have tried to find the apple UK website to get a list of apple outlets we can get in touch with, but I cannot find this.

Any help will be appreciated.

I am very glad I have bought a creative zen touch for my lad's christmas, but then again it is still in the box, hopefully it will be easier to sync with the pc than the ipod.

georgemac 21:59 26 Nov 04

have found apple UK support, but not too hopeful, will try phoning an apple centre. Tech support is £35 per incident when the warranty is expired!

georgemac 08:09 27 Nov 04

and have found and emailed the following to my mate - I am very busy today so cannot get involved. The ipod was bought 2nd hand off Ebay so no warranty and I guess it is over a year old anyway. He is heading to Costco today to get a creative zen touch anyway as even if we get it running we don't want to go through the same again! Will keep the thread updated in case anyone else has a similar problem.

iPod only shows an Apple logo and doesn't start up

You may need to restore or update iPod or iPod mini by placing it in Disk Mode if only an Apple logo appears when you turn it on.

If this happens, the iPod software may have been damaged. Put iPod into Disk Mode, then restore or update iPod's software.

Putting iPod into Disk Mode
Learn how to manually put iPod into Disk Mode.

When troubleshooting an issue with your iPod, it's sometimes helpful to manually put it into Disk Mode.

Putting iPod into Disk Mode

1. Plug the iPod Power Adapter into an electrical outlet and connect iPod to the power adapter.

2. Toggle the Hold switch on and off. (Set it to Hold, then turn it off again.)

3. Press and hold the Play/Pause and Menu buttons until the Apple/iPod logo appears, then release them. This resets iPod. When you reset iPod all your music and data files are saved, but some customized settings may be lost.

4. When the Apple logo appears, immediately press and hold the Previous and Next buttons until the Disk Mode screen appears. (For iPod Software 1.0 through 1.1, a FireWire logo appears on the screen.)

If you are having difficulty putting the iPod mini or iPod (Click Wheel) into Disk Mode, set the iPod on a flat surface. Make sure that the finger pressing the Select button is not touching the click wheel. Also make sure that you are pressing the Play/Pause button toward the outside of the click wheel and not near the center.

If you are still unable to put iPod mini or iPod (Click Wheel) into Disk Mode, use one finger from one hand to press the Select button, and one finger from the other hand to press the Play/Pause button.

If it goes into disk mode – the next step is to update it again by connecting to the computer –

iPod should appear in the iTunes Source list and on the desktop or in a Finder window, or in the My Computer window.

1. If a message appears that says the volume could not be mounted and asks if you want to initialize the disk, choose to initialize iPod's disk. Use Mac OS Extended format (HFS Plus) if you have a Mac, or FAT32 if you have a Windows PC.

Warning: This process cannot be undone. All of your songs and files will be deleted. Always make a backup of your important data.

2. Follow the steps to update or restore iPod. If you manually put iPod into Disk Mode it may need to be reset before you can use it.

3. If you cannot put iPod into Disk Mode after performing these steps, it may need to be repaired. You can arrange for repair at the iPod Service Website

Technical Support Options
To get technical assistance by phone, call 0870 876 0753 (UK) or 1850 946 191 (Ireland). Lines are open Monday-Friday 0800-2000; Saturday 1000-1800; and Sunday 1000-1600. If your product is within its 90-day complimentary support period or covered by an AppleCare Protection Plan, you will not have to pay for the support. Otherwise, you may purchase per-incident support for £35 (UK) or €47.19 (Ireland).

georgemac 19:58 28 Nov 04

I managed to get it into disk mode and connected to my pc. managed to restore it and load some songs using itunes, but the songs were not listed on the ipod menu.

have restored it several times, sometimes it cannot mount the ipod, sometimes it retrieves the software version and serial number from the ipod and sometimes not. During some of the restores I have had disk errors and when I checked it in mindows explorer the format shown was raw when it should have been fat32

the only way I can see forward is to get it connected to an apple pc and reformat the hard drive and upload the mac software to the ipod, see if there are any errors on the hard disk when this is done, if it is ok we could tehn reformat and update it back to windows.

only thing is don't know anyone with a mac.

he bought a zen touch from costco and I have loaded all their music onto it today - went very smoothly. He cannot do it as he has trashed his mesh PC by installing sp2 - another thread.

Anyone considering buying a 2nd hand ipod or any portable device with a hard disk I would advise against it. Go for a new one and get the warranty cover.

georgemac 19:46 19 Dec 04

he has managed to borrow an apple laptop and it sees the ipod no problem but the software is looking for a password before it will upload the apple software - so again we are stuck?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…