AOL Broadband installed - machine crashing

bunz 00:24 12 Dec 04

Hi there,

Hoping you can help me on this one - I installed AOL Silver on to my Dad's machine earlier today. It's a very low spec machine (Celeron 400MHz, 64Mb RAM, 10Gb HDD) but it took the software and when I left it was connecting fine and working perfectly (or as perfectly as a machine like that does lol).

Now my Dad has been on the phone and the machine is coming up with a fatal exception error when he clicks on "sign on" in AOL 9.

I have to admit my mother has a habit of fiddling with settings, she says she has removed the old versions of AOL they had but swears she did this AFTER the broadband stopped working - would the removal of old versions cause such a problem?

The computer is running on 98SE.

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated :-)

Giggle n' Bits 00:44 12 Dec 04

AOL v9 states in the small print that 128MB is prefered. I would run a tool called CCleaner, check for virus infection, make sure all phone sockets where you plug something in has a Micro Filter.

Back onto AOL S/ware it says that if the memory is lower than 128MB then an older version V.7 will install

Sounds like AOL software has done it again and possbily started some thing. Fully remove all AOL using the Add/Remove programmes. Clean away unwanted software prog's using the Add/Remove then re-install. if this again causes prob's you will need to upgrade the memory to 128 minimum or install V7 software.

bunz 00:49 12 Dec 04

I had a feeling it was possibly down to the spec. I'm building a new computer for them for Christmas, just didn't want them to suspect or spend any money on the old one!

I will try as you suggest, remove all the old ones and reinstall, if I have to go back to version 7 will it work OK with the broadband?

Graham ® 10:05 12 Dec 04

Assuming the ADSL is USB, any other USB devices on the PC?

bunz 10:06 12 Dec 04

They have a USB Epson scanner plugged in as well

Graham ® 13:38 12 Dec 04

Unplug the scanner and try.

bunz 19:45 12 Dec 04

I have just talked my dad through reinstalling AOL 9 and the modem drivers and it's working!

Thanks for all your help guys

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…