Anitvirus attack - machine almost disabled

Jonah(without the whale) 17:36 03 Jan 11

Help

I appear to have been invaded some some software - here are the facts:

I am running Wiondows 7 on a Toshiba Satllite L450

A product called SYSTEM TOOL appears to have invaded y machine -
A tab that looks very like a Windows warning at the foot of the screen telling me:
"Application cannot be executed. The file TCrdMain.exe is infacted. Please activiate your antivirus software.

This will not go away and when any attmept to close is done, a little explorer is running and clains to be scaaning the machine. Any attempt to close that presents a web siye where I am asked to enter money and but a full version. This will not close.

The desktop has chnaged on the macjine not issuing a warning that the machine is infected and incluned some bad spelling and is obnviously a hoax.

It's looking as if I cannot run any programs, but i have yet to try.

Any ideas pleasse (an am currently running Avast to scan the machine, but no results yet)

birdface 17:41 03 Jan 11

Maybe try this.

click here

birdface 17:43 03 Jan 11

Or follow the directions on this first.

click here

Jonah(without the whale) 17:48 03 Jan 11

Hi Buteman
Thanks for the links - it looks like the second link directly addreses this tool - I'll have a go right now.
Cheers

isca2 18:08 03 Jan 11

Any good ? click here

rawprawn 18:21 03 Jan 11

If the above suggestions do not work.
You may find it easier and quicker? to do a Repair Install of Windows 7 click here
You will not lose any data , but windows will have to update again which may take some time.
however it would get rid of your problem.

GANDALF <|:-)> 19:05 03 Jan 11

It is a Trojan not a virus and it will have installed itself because you inadvertently gave it permission so your AV will have ignored it. Viruses are as rare as hen's teeth these days. Download the free version of Malwarebytes from click here and run it in safe mode.

G

Jonah(without the whale) 20:20 03 Jan 11

Well folks

while you were very kindly coming forth with solutions, I followed up Buteman's suggestion, which was excellent. It did, inadvertantly cost money, but hey, when you know nothing, need help and am thoroughly stuck - here's what happened.
I attemptyed to download Stopzilla, but is would not download due to the problem
I rang them up as the site advises and they advised that then machine could not be fixed except by a valid microsoft tecnician. In the end I gave in, paid up for them to so the job and a years tech cover.
But, watching the repair on line, all they seems to do was run malwarebytes in safe mode and presto - job done. So the cost (lots of dollars) was great but the relief was equal. And I'm glad for all your help.
Cheers
Phil

Sea Urchin 00:41 04 Jan 11

Horrified to see that you paid to have done what you could have done yourself from buteman's link - the link to StopZilla should be ignored, and you should have scrolled down the page until you got to

Automated Removal Instructions for System Tool using Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware:

and followed the instructions completely for free

Jonah(without the whale) 20:35 04 Jan 11

Hi Sea Urchin

The story of my life!

Thanks for your words of warning - read everything!

Cheers

birdface 00:15 05 Jan 11

Well if you bought the Pro version of Malwarebytes it should come in real handy and stop any drive by rogue Malware programs from downloading on to you computer in the future.
So it could be money well spent.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…