AMD Athlon XP2000+ machine will not shut down

quack 15:15 10 May 03

I am running an Athlon XP2000+ CPU with an M810 V7.1E series motherboard. I have 512Mb RAM and a 80Gb 7200 HardDrive which is set as Primary Master additionally I have a CD RW drive which is set to Secondary Master and a 52X CDROM drive set to Secondary Slave. The Operating System is Windows ME for which all updates have been downloaded including IE6. The problem is that the machine refuses to shut down consistently particularly having been connected to the internet. It will shut down if I run Scandisk. I have followed Ms advice re shutdown problems but have not cured it. Anyone with solution would be greeted with open arms - it's driving me mad.
Brian Drake

jazzypop 16:20 10 May 03

Comprehensive troubleshooting - click here

quack 17:57 10 May 03

Hi jazzypop,
Thanks for the suggestion but have already been through the details given on this site. Didn't work. Incidentally I have also tried replacing the Motherboard and RAM also didn't work.

jazzypop 18:11 10 May 03

That leaves two choices - live with it, or format the drive and start again (backup your data first, of course).

The most likely cause is a corrupt driver or service in your registry, but finding it by hand will take a lot longer than a clean re-install.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news :(

quack 22:25 10 May 03

Thanks once again. Have already tried format and reload including updating all drivers and still the problem persists. Funny thing is it doesn't occur if I run 98SE as the OS. Now you can see why it's driving me mad. Next step try XP? Incidentally I also do not believe it to be a software compatibility issue as I have a second machine which successfully runs exactly the same progs with Windows ME. I really do appreciate your responses though.

keith-236785 17:40 11 May 03

are you using Norton, if you are it may be stopping the shutdown, i had this on a pc i built. then motherboard was supplied with Norton Antivirus on the M/B cd but it was incompattable
removing Norton removed the problem
worth a try maybe
hope this helps

quack 18:02 11 May 03

Thanks a million. It seems to have worked.

keith-236785 08:54 14 May 03

Dont forget to get a good virus checker
you can use AVG from click here
its free and it works for me.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…