Agfa scanner not work on Acer machine

furkin 10:54 11 Apr 04

I have just bought a new ACER Aspire T120. I run XP Home & 768 RAM.
My Agfa Snapscan 1236s works perfectly on my old machine also on XP.
I have the latest drivers for the scanner & XP (Snapscan & fotolook)
Both drivers work on old kit.
I just cannot get the ACER kit to recognise the scanner at all.
Neither Agfa or Acer seem to want to help !
can anyone out there help please ?
thanks for reading this
furkin

Gongoozler 13:21 11 Apr 04

Hi furkin, I can't offer much in the way of help, but I shall make a few comments to keep the thread alive. I notice that the Snapscan 1236s is quite an old SCSI model, and the ACER Aspire T120 is a very new model with a VIA KM400, chipset, so the reason the 2 companies aren't being very helpful is probably that neither has tried this combination of components, especially as SCSI is rarely used these days.

My first thought on the subject is that perhaps the motherboard BIOS or Windows XP isn't recognising the SCSI card. Have you looked for it in Device Manager?

furkin 14:12 11 Apr 04

Hi Gong,
Thanks for the reply. The Acer kit only has one SCSI connector, which operates fine with my printers etc. I assume that side is o.k.
I have looked in Device Manager & found one conflict, which is Com Port 5 !!!! I didn't think that I used cam 5 anyway. I get the message:
""Windows cannot determine the settings for this device. Consult the documentation that came with this device and use the Resource tab to set the configuration. (Code 34)""
I can't see what this device is supposed to be ! (thick or wot ??)
Does this give you any more ideas, please ?
Happy Easter

Gongoozler 15:30 11 Apr 04

Hi furkin. You'll need to find the documentation for your SCSI card. Was it supplied with the new computer or did you fit it yourself?

Code 34 says "Windows cannot determine the settings for this device. Consult the documentation that came with this device and use the Resource tab to set the configuration. The device requires manual configuration. Change the hardware settings by setting jumpers or running a vendor-supplied tool, and then use the Resources tab in Device Manager to configure the device.
On the General Properties tab of the device, click Troubleshoot to start the troubleshooting wizard". click here

Gongoozler 15:46 11 Apr 04

Hi furkin. I think I've got it!

Your computer has a 25-pin parallel printer connector like the one in the picture on this page click here.

Your scanner connects to a 25-pin SCSI connector like the one on this page click here.

Unfortunately, although the connectors are mechanically identical, they are electrically very different!

Gongoozler 16:13 11 Apr 04

These are the pin functions:

click here

furkin 16:51 11 Apr 04

Thanks Gong, It makes sense when you say that. I am obviously using the same cables that i used on the old kit for both the scanner & printers. The printer leads have a 'normal' 25pin Parallel at one end & the 'clip' 'centronics' type at the other. The scanner has a 25pin type at both ends. (I don't know why Agfa or Acer didn't pick this up ???)
Are you familier with sandra ? I have sandra 2003 installed,,, so I assume this can tell me more,,, if I knew what to look for. Under SCSI it says: Type=Direct Access. Manufacturer=WDC WD40. Version=6. Does this help you to help me ?
before I contact you again, I'll get the 'manual' out, & look this up.
many thanks so far
furkin

Gongoozler 17:18 11 Apr 04

Hi furkin. I used to use SANDRA, but now use AIDA32 from click here, as I found the information more accurate. I think SANDRA may have been updated and improved since then.

WDC WD40 sounds like a WQestern Digital hard drive! This would tie in with Direct Access (DMA?)

If you still have your old computer, I would expect there to be a plug-in SCSI card. My computer formerly had an ISA SCSI card for my HP ScanJet scanner, but I burnt out my processor and had to rebuild the computer with a new motherboard. I now don't have an ISA socket and a pci SCSI card would cost as much as a new scanner ;-(.

Gongoozler 10:54 12 Apr 04

summary of email from furkin.

The connections (on the computer) are listed as: Two x PS/2 One x Serial One x Parallel One x VGA Six x USB I didn't realise that the 25pin parallel socket could be, or would be, wired differently. When people 'daisy-chain' their printer/scanners, I assume that they have to be the same i.e: serial or parallel or SCSI, even though they are being connected to a similar 25pin socket ???

My old kit (POLAR) has an Adeptec card, (1505 I think), which I can use if I have to, in the new kit. -- I assume that this is the best route for me now.

-----------------------------------------------

Hi furkin. I'll reply to the main points of your email here for the sake of anyone else following the thread, and I'll reply via email to the other points you've raised.

Your new Acer computer has the usual serial, parallel and USB ports. It doesn't have a SCSI port. It is an unfortunate fact of PC history that manufacturers chose the same 25-pin D connector for two very different communication standards. It is even more unfortunate that even when used as a SCSI cable manufacturers don't keep to one standard. My HP scanner uses a different pin allocation from the rest!

You are quite right in thinking that all the devices on a daisy chain have to use the same standard.

If your SCSI card is fitted in a PCI slot, then it should be OK in your new computer, however according to AGFA the 1235S was originally supplied with an ISA card click here. Ebuyer list a number of SCSI cards, the cheapest of which is about £30 including postage click here, but this uses a 50 pin connector, and I can't say whether it would work with your scanner.

furkin 11:44 13 Apr 04

Thanks Gong,
After looking in both machines, I do now see that the supplied Adaptec card in the old kit is an ISA one, as you say.
Unfortuneately, my new kit dosn't have ISA slots at all,,,, only PCI ones.
Do you know if it's feasable to 'adapt' the scanner lead, to use a USB slot,,,, is there a 'USB to SCSI' lead/adaptor available ?
All advice welcome.
Furkin

Gongoozler 14:07 13 Apr 04

Hi furkin. There is a USB to SCSI adapter available, click here, although I don't know how successful it would be with your scanner, and at £44.49 this is close to the cost of a new scanner click here.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…