ADSL Router MAC - can it be altered?

Mikeinho 22:21 31 Oct 07

I recently changed from tiscali to sky broadband. I was previously using a decent wireless router with tiscali, but sky make you use the wireless router supplied by them. Frankly, it's a piece of [email protected] - very poor signal and constantly drops connection. I thought it was a hardware issue, but I'm now on my 3rd router from sky and these problems still exist. Sky log all the MAC addresses of their routers in use, so I cannot switch back to using my trusty old router from before as it has an unregistered MAC address. I contacted Sky to ask them to log the MAC address of my old router to use it, but they wouldn't let me - something to do with special software they use at the telephone exchange. My question is: can I change the MAC address on my old router so it appears that it matches the MAC address of my sky wireless router? Or is there anything else I can do to my sky router to make it work better?

Dipso 22:34 31 Oct 07

Many Sky users see improvements by flashing the Sky router with modded firmware from click here This can be a tricky process, more info on how to do this click here

Disclaimer: Only do this if you are sure of the procedure.

2neat 23:15 31 Oct 07

you can extract the settings from your sky router & then put them in your old router. I have a Belkin which worked fine on sky. I had drops etc. Loads of advice on skyuser forums. Turn off upnp in sky router, stopped my drops.
Answer is no to changing MAC!
I dont have any probs with sky router now
Good luck & post back if you sort it
Regards

Dipso 06:41 01 Nov 07

As 2neat says there are ways of using your own equipment with Sky but you are breaking the t&c's if you do...just so you are aware :)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…