Adding macs to trusted list on netgear dgn2000

LAPTOPBABE 22:14 18 Aug 10

I have a netgear dgn2000 adsl modem router. I am replacing a netgear dg834pn as it was seeming to drop out a lot. I have set up everything else ok, but when i come to add some of the mac addresses for the other laptop and iphones etc. some of them won't add it says the macs are invalid. The ones which seems to be a problem is those which DO NOT start with 00. Eg. one starts with 40 and another starts with 70.They were fine on other router. I have checked for new firmware. All the others which start with 00 add ok, what can i do does anyone have any ideas. have checked online and there is not much help there. Thanks.

LAPTOPBABE 19:19 22 Aug 10

Doesn't anyone have any ideas on my post, i really need to add my iphone to my trusted list. Thanks

mgmcc 23:08 22 Aug 10

This appears to be a problem specific to Netgear routers. A Google search indicated that with one particular model, the problem was resolved with a firmware update, but there's no guarantee that this would work with yours.

I did at one time find details of why some adapters had MAC addresses that don't start with 00, but cannot for the life of me find that detail again.

Perhaps the answer is to get in touch with Netgear's technical support people, or discontinue MAC address filtering. If you are able to use WPA2, that should provide adequate security.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How VR is being used to simulate space

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now