Access to Windows 7 machine from XP machine

Tor-toise 11:08 12 Feb 10

I have a new Windows 7 Laptop, and older XP Laptop both with wireless access to the internet and printer using a Linksys router.

Internet access and printing is working fine from both but I want to share files between the two.

The W7 Laptop can see the XP machine fine and can read and update files on it. But, I can’t get the XP machine to even see the W7 machine, let along access any folders on it.

Any suggestions?

XP machine is using XP Professional 5.1.2600
W7 machine is using W7 Home Premium

Thanks.

I am Spartacus 11:58 12 Feb 10

Have you tried mapping directly to the folder e.g. \\computername\sharename?

I don't know much about networking but I sometimes can't 'see' the share but mapping directly seems to work.

Tor-toise 12:27 12 Feb 10

Thanks for the reply.

I'm sorry though, but I don't really understand what you're suggesting. How do I "map directly"? Also, I think I know what the 'computername' would be but not sure about the 'sharename'.

I am Spartacus 12:36 12 Feb 10

In Windows Explorer select Tools, Map Network Drive. In the Folder box enter \\ComputerName\Sharename e.g. \\Spartacus\Data$. Leave the tick in Reconnect at Login and click Finish. You may be requested to enter ComputerName again and your password.

Tor-toise 12:44 12 Feb 10

OK thanks. I understand the mapping process now, but still don't know what the 'Sharename' should be. How do I find this? I tried doing it specifying it as 'workgroup' but it couldn't find anything.

I am Spartacus 12:47 12 Feb 10

The share name is the folder you want to share e.g. Data or My Documents. I don't think you need to use the $ symbol though unless you're sharing a drive.

I am Spartacus 12:48 12 Feb 10

You have created a shared folder on the XP PC?

I am Spartacus 12:57 12 Feb 10

Oops, I meant on the Windows 7 PC.

Tor-toise 13:13 12 Feb 10

Oh I see.... Well I have set it to allow Shared access to a folder on the W7 PC. But of course, it's within a heirarchy, viz.

C:\users\david\my documents\data

I've tried specifying that (both with and without the C:) but neither are found.

To be honest, I don't see how it is going to find them if it doesn't see the W7 PC in the first place - but I'm happy to try anything!

mgmcc 14:01 12 Feb 10

Have you installed firewall software in the Windows 7 PC that could be preventing it from being accessed over the network?

Tor-toise 14:07 12 Feb 10

No, I'm afraid not. At least, not deliberately. I'm running Avast (same as on XP) but don't think there's any Firewall element to that.

Anything I could check to be sure?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now