Access to networked machine requires guest login

thejazzpotato 19:29 08 Apr 06

I have 3 XP pro destops, which are all networked with a linksys wireless router. One of the machines is wired, the other 2 wireless. I can see all computers over the network, however when trying to access the wired pc from a wireless terminal I am asked to log in as guest. No matter what password I try to use access is still denied. Strange thing is, from my wired pc I can gain access to all machines over the network. I have checked all windows and other installed firewall settings and this still happens when they are all disabled. Please help.

ade.h 19:51 08 Apr 06

In a Pro-only network environment, it may help if one of each PC's accounts is common in type, name and password.

I say "may help" because my own Pro-based network does not have an account that is common to all clients, and yet it works just fine. My business desktop has two named user accounts - both passworded and part of the admin group - while my laptop has only the top-level Administrator account, also passworded. The group is the only common factor between them.

mgmcc 08:17 09 Apr 06

Have you actually set any folders as "Shared" in the wired PC? By default, File & Printer Sharing is disabled in XP and, if you try to access a PC in which it hasn't been enabled, you will get a prompt for a "non-existent" password.

Setting a folder as "Shared" will, if necessary, prompt you to enable File & Printer Sharing in the PC.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now